Wanted: Day Old Chicks for spring 2010 in Western North Carolina

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by keeko, Dec 24, 2009.

1. keeko

keeko Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Hello everyone!
    I'm looking to begin my first flock this coming spring. I'd prefer to pick up the day-old chicks in person, rather than have them shipped from a hatchery. I'm lookin for Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and/or Barred Rocks. I'm also interested in heritage breed chickens if you know of anywhere in North Carolina, eastern Tennessee, or parts of South Carolina that breed and sell them.
    I'd like to get them around March...

Any info you could pass on would be helpful!
    Thank you guys!
    Kristina

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's possible that I will have some chicks in February/early March. I am practically in NC, but in Fannin County, GA, less than 1 mile from the border at Culberson/Murphy area. Might be some Barred Rocks in there. Just check back with me later on if you don't find some anywhere else. I will have BRs, Delawares, and possibly Blue Rocks, Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, as well as blue/black/splash Orps in that bunch. Not sure what else, if anything, but am considering some Buckeyes from show type stock as well.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I know you said you didn't want to order from hatchery, but...

I will be getting an order in from Cackle hatchery in early Feb. I am only getting Black Australorp and Buff Orpington pullets(all girls). I am getting 25 of each. At 3 weeks old I will start selling them, should be the first week of March. Probably will be 3.50-4 each at that age, then the price goes up from there each week or 2.

By the end of March I should be hatching from my new flock of Blue, Black, Splash Ameraucanas. I do not know what they will produce yet as they are young and I have not hatched from them.

I am about half a mile off I-40 exit 94.

Matt

4. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I can suppy you with Australopes and RIRs. I also have Cuckoo Marans and Welsummers. I work in Asheville and can meet you for delivery. Are you looking for 2-3 day old chicks, or would you like something a few weeks old.

5. keeko

keeko Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the offers! I do however, want to start the chicks from a few days old. They'll be pets as well as layers for my family, so I'd like to socialize them as early as possible.
    I've been doing some research on hatcheries (though I preferred to get them locally), and everyone tells me McMurray Hatchery is the best. Do you guys have any experience with them? They require a minimum of 25 chicks though (I'd only need 10!!), so I would have to share the order with someone. Anyone interested if I do that?

thanks again - and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Kristina

Mudstopper - I may be interested in the Australorps and RIR's... do you know when you'll have chicks again?

Matt - would you be interested in combining that order at Cackle to share day-old chicks? The downside I notice with Cackle is that they require a minimum of 5 chicks PER BREED. McMurray will give you any number. Interested in sharing an order?

6. daps2000

daps2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

No on mcmurry .... I ordered 25 chicks there last year ... 5 came dead ... and 3 died a few days later!
    I sent you an email ... I have some hatching on Feb 4 2010.
    Give me a call ... and we can talk ... and you can come visit ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by