Wanted: Dorking Chicks (or older if you are close to SW Missouri)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Omniskies, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    All of our attempts to get Dorking eggs and chicks have fallen through for well over a year now. At this point we're hoping to get Dorking chicks.

Color doesn't matter, though I'm partial to the Silver Greys and the rest of the household like the Reds. We're wanting day olds to keep the shipping prices down. If you live within driving distance of Southwest Missouri and have some started or adult Dorkings to sell then I'd love to try and meet up.

I can be reached at omniskies at gmail dot com.

PS: This doesn't have to be an immediate thing. If you raise Dorkings and are willing to hatch out some eggs to ship that'd be great.

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Y'know, I had a very hard time this year, too. I did manage to hatch one egg, and purchased a few males/females from MMH (I had to buy 25 chicks just to get 4 pullets!). I had an order in with Ideal that turned into a waiting list for 2009... Placing an order in April was too late. If you can't find someone locally that has them (my birds are too young still) then you might have to call the hatcheries and get an order in NOW for next spring. There are several other people on BYC that have mature Dorkings, however. Hopefully they can help you out!
    [​IMG]

3. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Do NOT expect to be on a waiting list for 2009 with some of the hatcheries. I was on a waiting list with McMurray and with Ideal. I called both of them up yesterday to check on the exact numbers I had on hold and found out that I couldn't put any on hold at all until mid November for McMurray and January for Ideal. So the orders I had on hold (which kept getting pushed back from _March_ through May) went poof. I'll have to call back later to put them on hold. Again.

The prices for McMurray's Dorkings are outrageous. I'm only putting them on hold there as a last resort since I can't seem to get them anywhere else. And every box of Dorking hatching eggs I've ordered have arrived damaged.

These guys had better be worth the trouble once we finally manage to get some [​IMG] At this point I'm wanting to just cross some Japanese bantams with White Rocks and see if I can get any short legged chickens to play with. It seems like a breeding project would be faster than a waiting list.

Erm. End rant.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    *chuckle* I know exactly how you feel. [​IMG] The sad part is that I had an order with MMH for May, and I canceled it because I was worried about the AI outbreak in March... in hindsight, I probably could have saved myself a lot of heartbreak if I had just let the order go through. [​IMG] Oh well.
    Hmmm... that's strange, though, about Ideal, because when I called to ask about my place on the waiting list back in June, and she informed me that they were done for the season, she specifically asked me if I wanted to keep my place near the top of the list for next Spring. I'm not worried, because I don't need them and will likely call them in January to cancel the waiting-list order, but that just doesn't make sense.

Well, shoot... we need to get you some Dorkings!! Yogiman... where are you? [​IMG] Zookeeper? Anyone? Did you try Black Diamond in Montana?
    http://www.blackdiamondguestranch.com/index-3chicken.html

Oh, and Sandhill's are even more expensive... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Through no fault of her own, Black Diamond's eggs arrived in pieces. Literally. The mailman had placed the crumpled box inside a plastic bag because they were dripping everywhere. Somewhere from point A to point B a heavy box had to have been thrown on this one. It was insured so I received compensation, and she said she'd contact me when she had another batch of eggs available to try again.

I've ordered thousands of eggs in the mail that all arrive in great condition. For whatever reason fate knows when I'm ordering Dorking eggs and _something_ catastrophic goes wrong. Now I'm hoping if I get chicks I'll have better luck. Chicks that live in my bedroom and office so I can keep an obsessive eye on them until they're finally so tired of my fretting that I'm forced to put them outside with the rest of my chickens.

I was told the same thing by Ideal and had a bunch of stuff on hold. Apparently their system doesn't hold things when it updates for the next year or something like that. All I know is that they told me to call back in January to rehold everything.

Things are starting to cool off out here. September is probably the last month I'll be able to risk shipping chicks before it becomes too cold. If I can get them here safe and sound then they'll be fine. I just need to actually get some here [​IMG]

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh wow... I just read what you wrote to my husband, and we're both like "Wow, does THAT ever sound familiar?" I paid for express mail to get eggs from Jeanne here over night, and it took 4 days... Priority mail took over a week. I have one roo from her stock out of over 30 eggs and over $100 spent. I think Dorking eggs are cursed. Yep, that's it... has to be. [​IMG]

I hope someone can help... I won't have eggs until January, but it will be WAY too cold then for me to ship. Not until April, probably. But I shipped in chicks from MMH at the end of February this year... it was 7°F when I picked them up, and I only lost 4 out of 30 chicks. Not even sure it was the cold, though...

But one way or t'other, we'll get you Dorkings. [​IMG]

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I have had some luck finding what I want at the small animal sale,I have even seen a few Dorkings.There is a sale comming up next Sat I can see if thier is any and the following week ill be in Ashland Missouri.So if I find any ill let you know.....

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I refuse to give up on these pesky things. Honestly, I was wanting chicks that were ready to lay in the Spring because our feed store is letting me sell my birds there during their chick days next year. I wanted to boost Dorking numbers in our area and give the breed a push. At this rate I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off.

If not then 2010 will be the year of the Dorking.

Edit:

Pdsavage, that'd be great. I've been scouring this area all summer and have even asked poultry dealers to grab up any Dorkings they stumble across. Once they actually think "Dorking" is a real breed they usually agree to keep an eye out.

Also, if you stumble across any Pilgrim geese I'm always looking for those, as well [​IMG]. If you want to toss me an email at omniskies at gmail dot com I can get you my contact information.

If there's anything you're looking for definitely let me know and I can keep an eye out for you.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by