WANTED: Ducks, my pond is ready!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Illinois_ Kelly, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Illinois_ Kelly

Illinois_ Kelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Marion, Illinois
    Our pond is more than half full now and I'm so excited about being able to look out my kitchen window and view my beautiful ducks swimming happily along. While I'm not ruling out other breeds of ducks, I'm currently looking for the white crested pekin. I had 2 of these several years ago when we had a pond at our other home. They were raised from babies, ate from our hands, and were very spoiled. When we left, we had to rehome "Polly and Pete", which broke my heart. I'm hoping to find some ducks or ducklings in or near southern Illinois to fill the spot they left.

Hopefully someone can help us out.

Happy New Year!
    Kelly

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. slybird353

slybird353 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Florida
  3. Illinois_ Kelly

Sep 13, 2007
    Marion, Illinois
    Thank you! I'll take a look at that site.

Kelly

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have a few extra drakes, if you're interested. There are 2 rouens and 1 white pekin (not crested). If you would want to wait till later, I will have pekin, cayuga, and rouen eggs and ducklings coming out my ears!

5. tbooher1

tbooher1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Montabla
    I am currently shipping pekin and khaki campbell eggs, if your into incubating. Or I can ship you ducklings,but this time of year you would have to have at least 10 to a box so they can stay warm enough. So eggs might be better.

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    hello Kelly,

When i got my ducklings i was still in Chicago, so i know how hard it is to find a reputable dealer in IL. I got my duckies from Metzer Farms. (Metzerfarms.com) They have the crested pekin duck you are looking for and they ship as few as 2 or as many as you'd like. They are one of the most reputable breeder around (and they are a very larger operation!) There is a minimum fee for ducklings $30, (Whether you buy 2 or 5, you'll have to pay this much, so if you can accomodate 5, you'll get your full moeney's worth) and they can sex them for 1.25. If you get less than 10 they charge a fee for the special packaging which keeps them warm $12.

I bought two runners from them last august, had them sexed and shipped to me in chicago for about 60$. I know it seems pricey for animals that usually cost no more than a few dollars, but this way you know you are getting exactly what you want, breed sex and quality. And they are super nice. One of my ducklings had died during the first week after i got him from an unknown reason and metzer's farm sent me two more ducklings for free. They are very big on making sure their costumers are happy, so i highly reccomend them.

here;s what you're looking for:
    http://metzerfarms.com/wht_crest.htm

7. Illinois_ Kelly

Sep 13, 2007
    Marion, Illinois
    nettie,
    Thank you SO much for taking the time to give me that information. I actually found that site but wasn't sure what quality of ducks they might have. I'm relieved to hear good things about them. I'll be sure to place good sized order with them to save on minimum order charges.

Again, thank you for your help!
    Kelly

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    glad i could help... I remember how frustrating it was trying to find a duck breeder the first time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by