WANTED: EASTERN WILD TURKEY EGGS, JUST A FEW

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Southern Chickens, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    WTB wild turkey eggs to incubate. Just a few, under 6. I have wild turkeys in my yard and I want to hatch some. They are to be released later. The one that I hatch, will know me as a food source and won't fear me. They might tell the others that I am not to be feared. I know it sounds crazy,[​IMG] but that is what I want to do. I feed the wild ones now, I just don't want them to run/fly away everytime I try to take a picture of them. Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I sent you a pm. Thanks

3. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I would *want* them to be fearful. What if someone wants to kill them and you train them to be tame? Or, you raise a chick to be released and he is going to wonder why the hell is momma left him in the woods. I wish you would rethink this [​IMG] Let the wild do its own thing.

4. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    All of my birds are free range, they go in at night. I wouldn't turn it away if it should choose to stay/return. Plus, we are the hunters. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. rnau

rnau Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Piedmont Al
    check Birmingham, Al craigs list. Taking orders now.

Roy

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay, I have to confess that's mine. I was suggested to post there. I'm getting lots of contacts, so there is a strong interest there.

Here's a picture of my Bronze turkeys....They are not "wild turkey" but many think they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please let me know if you are interested.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  7. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

I also have Pure Wild Eastern, i have three bloodlines in my pens.
    I am inspected by the PGC yearly. They love my birds and the bloodlines i have and work with. Some are true Strains from wilds of pa.

However i can not recommend the release of raised turkeys into the wild.
    The only way i would consider release is if they are hatched out by a turkey hen, the reason for that is they will not imprint on humans so easily which i have found out first hand, when i let a hen hatch and raise her own poults. the poults always run from you when entering there pens even when full grown. Plus the mother teaches them to eat lots of insects and signs of danger. When someone other than myself comes to see my birds they run to get away, most of my birds are very skiddish of humans. You will want to follow your states regulations and rules for release if they allow it.

You can see some of my wilds in my BYC page or at our web site..

Thanks
    Charlie

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  8. ZRider10

ZRider10 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Missoula, MT
    Southernchick,

I would recommend checking out the laws in your area and finding out if its even legal to release captive bred birds or to feed wild ones. I know in Montana, we have strict laws against it. Of course some of my neighbors feed turkeys anyways, and they regularly become roadkill because of it.

Erin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by