wanted fine female japanese quails

marylou

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Hi I'm new to this forum and need help with my japanese male quail. I was given 2 lovely japanese quails for Xmas and told they were male and a female, recently they have been behaving bit weird and you would think I have two male quails by their antics. I dont no much about quails but have separated them and they have a big enough coup to run around in and scratch about for worms, mealworm etc. One of the lovely quails was starting to lose a few feathers around the top of the neck which is why I separated them as they didn't look and behave friendly towards each other. I am looking to buy a few females japanese quails and was wondering if anyone on this forum knows of someone breeding them in the Wellington/Upper Hutt/Wairarapa region, New Zealand. The pet shop has been hopeless. Does anyone know if I add a few females to the equation would that solve my problem because I want happy Japanese quails. Thanks.

Mary lou

Sounds like mating to me as well.
Coturnix romance is a bit brutal sometimes, and not for the faint of heart.
smile.png

You may want to get 2 or 3 more hens anyway. They do better in 1 roo to 3-4 hen setups. I'm not sure where you are, but if you are in the Metro Atlanta, GA. area, PM me and I'll hook you up with some more hens.

thank you for responsing so quick, yeah i guess nature can be brutal but i don't want a featherless quail if i can help it! I live in New Zealand so not so handy to drive up and pick few females up in Alanta but thank you for your advice and help anyway. I will get a few females when i can but guess I will just be patient until the petshop has some available. It's summer here so there should be no problems, I have enough wild native birds nesting in my roof at the moment so can't see why quail chicks aint for sale but my name is on the waiting list and see what antics the quails then get up to when I can introduce some females to the equation. I want happy quails and a egg or 2 to eat would be a bonus but get alot of fun out of them running around chirping with a mealworm anyway.
thank you for your help.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom