1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wanted....free NEWBORN kitten

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by sheila80, Dec 28, 2008.

1. sheila80

sheila80 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    LAGRANGE, INDIANA
    my daughter is about to turn 1 and would like to get her a freshly, newborn, just weaned from mama kitten for her birthday.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I think it's great that you want a kitten for your daughter but IMO a one year old shouldn't be given a live pet as a gift. I know you have the best interest of both in mind and obviously you realize you will be caring for it; but it seems highly unfair to give a kitten to a young child who cannot take proper care of it and will hurt the kitten just because she doesn't know any better. Even under careful watch by you it seems too much of a risk to take for the kittens sake.

I'd suggest getting her one of the realistic stuffed kittens from a toy store and let her totally love on that.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I highly doubt she plans to just plop the kitten in with the baby. My kids have had TINY animals since they were babies and I have never had an animal injured by one of my kids. Good luck with that. I have two little freshly weaned boy kittens from a pregnant stray someone dumped on us.....but I didn't even look to see where you are????'

*sigh* just looked....too far. sorry, hope you find a baby. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. sheila80

sheila80 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    LAGRANGE, INDIANA
    no, i don't plan on just leaving the kitten with my daughter, i have 4 other kids at home too. it would be a family pet, but more towards her.

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
  6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Just extremely curious - how did a baby, who's not even one, say:

"I want a 'freshly, newborn, just weaned from mama kitten' for my birthday."

You may have a child genius on your hands.[​IMG]

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Wow....I don't understand why everyone is being so harsh about this. Obviously, whatever you get your 1 y/o for their birthday was not personally requested. It is obvious she wants this kitten to grow up with her child which is a pretty common desire actually and an indication she plans to take care of said kitten.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Yeah, no where did it say anything about the child saying squat. This is one of those personal opinion type of things that will turn ugly.
    I read it because it said NEWBORN and I was wondering if a mama cat had lost her babies or something. I'd suggest maybe altering the title to looking for a weaned kitten, you might get more responses because a newborn wouldn't be leaving mama anytime soon. Good to you, I have a baby kitty right now I'd darn near shove through the Internet for you lol!

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    If my post sounded harsh I truly apologize - it was meant in fun. I did read the original thread to mean the daughter wanted the kitten and thought it was funny if a not yet one year old had a concept of a "freshly, newborn, just weaned from mama kitten" and could actually verbalize same. Again, could have been a child genius.[​IMG]

If you read the post it doesn't say "I" would like to get her a kitten it says the "daughter is about to turn 1 and would like to get her a freshly, newborn, just weaned from mama kitten for her birthday".

Again, so sorry, just thought it was a cute play on words. Guess because my two year old niece was here for two days for Christmas this weekend and she babbled on and on and never said a word anyone could understand.

10. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Try Craigslist.com in your area. They always seem to have cats/kittens.

I got two kittens several months ago when my dughter was about 1.5. One of the families that I got one kitten from had four children and one babe was under 1 year. I didn't get the kittens FOR my daughter, per say, however they were for the family/farm.

We haven't had any tragedies or accidents to date and don't see any in the future. One of the kittens REALLY bonded to our tot and tries to eat dinner with her. It all depends on the food as to whether my daughter will feed the cat or not. lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by