Wanted:Gentle, Kid friendly Rooster-CHARLOTTE/MONROE NC

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by FluffyChic, Jan 17, 2010.

1. FluffyChic

FluffyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    We've got 4 BR laying pullets and 4 BO laying pullets. We are looking for a gentle rooster, but still be able to do the job of fertilizing the eggs. The purpose is for us to hatch a few of our own to keep a steady meat/laying flock for us. We just had a BR Roo that we will be having for dinner tomorrow night, because he's been attacking us and our 4 and 2yr old daughter. Honestly,we are not partial to any breed-just want a gentle kid/people friendly one. Please pm or respond to this post if you are able to help. TIA!!

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of 16 different heavy Breed roos, our best is our Delaware. He loves to be held and cuddled. But with any roo they need to be handled a lot and made to realize that YOU are the dominant one at all costs and that YOUR kids are part of YOUR flock and they are not for him.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I raise my birds to have good temperaments. Any bad boys go in the freezer and I do not hatch from them.
    At this time I have about 20 roos that could use homes. Barnevelder, Araucana, standard Cochin, Easter Egger and Jersey Giant. All ages, from young 6 month olds up to 2 yrs old. I handle my birds while they are growing up so they are used to human touch but also learn how to behave. Some of mine free range during the day and some have grown up in grow out pens.
    I am an hr and a half from Charlotte.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by