Wanted: Guinea Hens in VA

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I am looking for a pair of Guinea Hens for my chicken coop. We have a lot of snakes that like to hang around and need someone to stand guard! Thanks!

Guineas are LOUD! They also tend to do better in small flocks instead of pairs. I have some hatching eggs coming this week to add to my flock. I recently lost one due to being stuck between the fence and barn. Poor thing. If you check the bulliten board at the feed store there is usually one or two listings with quineas for sale.

So true, Cyn. I kept mine locked in the coop 6 weeks. They never stray farther than the pasture and barn area now. If one makes it over the fence they get frantic and scream until that one makes it back over.

Another thing with guineas, they seem to adjust to being with chickens better if they are raised together, seems that most that add(or try to add) older guineas seem to have more problems with them picking on the chickens. They do not adjust to change well.

This is interesting info! Thanks everyone for the help! I have heard of a man that sells guineas locally at 12 weeks old. Would this be an ideal age to get them?

I don't mix guineas with my chickens. The male guineas can (and will) mate the chickens. If hatched those are very ugly looking creatures. The guineas are better left to be on the wild side. they don't really seem to do as well when trying to make pets out of them. If the guineas decides they don't like a particular chicken(s) they will attack it until they kill it. I have never had this problem. I do not mix my fowl.

Quote:
Oh, the thought of it! It even sounds ugly!!!
lol.png
Can I keep the guineas around just as free range to help with the snakes? Also, can you tell at 12 weeks whether they are male or female?

Mine are a year old and I can't tell by looking at them. They are VERY hard to sex. I know I have a female because we have collected eggs and I can hear her distinct call. Some people say look at the head bump and the males are larger. I see no difference. Some say the female wattles face back. All of mine face front. The female makes a 2 syllable call "buck wheat". I have 1 that does this. Based on eggs and call I know for sure I have 1 female out of the original 7.

The ideal age to get guineas is as keets, actually. Most of the time, by 12 weeks, you can tell male from female, but by their calls more than anything else. The males most of the time have longer wattles and a more upright stance; they have a one-syllable staccato machinegun like call. Females sound like "Come back! come back!" or "Potrack! Pot rack!" Two syllables, however you interpret the sound of it. They can be vicious to chickens, though, at times. I had them and had to rehome them, long story. I miss the goonie-birds. They are unusual critters.

Back
Top Bottom