1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WANTED HOW TO PICKLE VEGGIES

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by magikchick, Jul 22, 2007.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I brought a case of canning jars to make the yogurt in. Now I would like to try pickling veggies, okra and such. Anyone have any recipes and/or instructions on how to do this.

Thanks, Marsha

2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    When I was a kid, my mother and the other ladies from the church used to can fruit and make jam every summer. Someone would go to Mexico and buy bags of cheap sugar. The fruit was brought down from Utah.

Us boys got detailed the heavy work. I still remember the scald burns. Be very careful, I don't have fond memories of this chore.

Rufus

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have done a lot of canning and looked up different methods but the absolute BEST I have ever used is the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. You should be able to find it in bookstores or sometimes where they sell canning supplies and such.
    It is on Amazon as well
    http://www.amazon.com/Jarden-Home-Brands-21400-Canning/dp/B0000BYDPZ
    In fact, mine is so stained and worn, I will need a new one soon (my third) [​IMG]

4. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    My moher used to used a pickle mix called "Mrs. Wagers", All you do is add the water and vineger. It is easy and very good. The same brand now also carries salsa mix etc. I get it at Krogers or Wal-Mart in the canning isle with the jars, lids etc.
    Be careful canning non-acidic vegetables. If not done properly, (usu. by pressure cooker) they can grow deadly botulism.
    Lisa

5. psimek

psimek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2007
    I agree, the Ball Blue Book is the best! Not only is it canning, but freezing & dehydration.
    What kind of recipes are you looking for? Pickles?
    There is a relish made out of zucchinis that is great.

6. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Mainly I just want to do pickling. I love spicy pickled okra. Bread and butter pickles would be great too.

I may try some canning later on if I get ambitious enough.

Marsha

7. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I googled pickle recipes and got a bunch. I put up 6 pints of dill pickles last week and they are almost all gone. I gotta put some more up. They were really easy.

jackie

8. Sharona

Sharona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2007
    Illinois
    I have (and my mother-in-law) looked for a good dill pickle recipe. I just want the simple flavor of dill (garlic too maybe) and a crispness. Anyone have any proven recipes?

9. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I am lazy, I run my jars and lids through the dishwasher on the very hottest cycle and leave them in there instead of sterilizing. When I didn't have a dishwasher, I used to set them upside-down on a cookie sheet covered with a wet dishtowel in the oven at 300 degrees. It only works for pickles, sauerkraut, peaches and tomatoes though--no good for anything else.

Veggie pickles for pasta salad:

Put in a very clean bowl, sliced veggies of your choice. I use zucchini, carrots, cherry tomatoes, halved artichoke hearts, celery, but you can really put whatever you like. Add 1 can black olives and 1 jar green olives, with their juice. Spoon into very clean jars. Add 1 tsp salt and a good shake of Italian seasoning to each pint jar, then add 1/4 c. red wine vinegar, 1/4 c. cider vinegar and 1/4 c. olive oil to each pint jar. If there's any room left in the jar, top it up with boiling water till the veggies are covered. Seal jars per the instructions on the Mason jar lid box--I usually get a stockpot of water boiling on the stove and put a dishtowel in the bottom of the strainer portion of the stockpot.

1 pint jar veggie pickles + 1 box pasta, cooked + grated Parmesan to taste = easy pasta salad

Canned seasoned tomatoes, to be used in chili or pasta:

Pack lots of tomato slices, fresh basil, and 5 garlic cloves into quart jars. Add 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. sugar to each jar. Set the lids on the jars (don't seal them with the rings yet) and put them on a cookie sheet lined with a damp dishtowel. Put the cookie sheet in the oven at 250-275 F. Bake 45 minutes. Carefully remove cookie sheet from oven, and seal the lids (wearing oven mitts!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by