wanted in a few weeks~silkie eggs CT

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Henrietta23, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I have permission to borrow the incubator from my school. I'm bringing it home this weekend to check out. It's a hova-bator 2362 N with an auto turner. Last time the 5th grade teacher used it they had a 100% hatch! I'm excited. I let my 5 year old son influence me when it came to what we might want to add to our little flock and he wants Silkies. I only want a half dozen I think. Any color. (Preferrably pullets:p)
    Thanks in advance. We're looking to hatch the third week of Feb. since we'll be on vacation from school.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    OK, you do know you can't sex eggs!!!!! LOL We hatched 17 Ameraucana eggs and got only 5 pullets, we started with 24 and they came from Texas. But since then with our eggs we've been getting mostly pullets, so who knows. There is a lady around Hardwick, Ma. that has Silkies, we saw them and her at the Poultry Congress Show at the Big E a couple weeks ago. She has a card at the Hardwick Coop in Gilberville,Ma. on the bulletin board.

http://hardwickfarmers.net/index.html

Her birds look really healthy and I heard others talking about how they liked her and her Silkies. If we get over there I'll see if I can get her number for you, if you aren't in a big hurry?

Cindy

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    There are a lot of GREAT breeders and egg sellers here.

I ordered mine from FluffnStuff because she is close and shipping eggs this
    time of year in the cold is risky. Her birds are also gorgeous. Look at her site.
    She has many breeds of silkie and a breed of rabbit that lays eggs, but
    only in the spring.
    See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/profile.php?id=68

Jody(HinkJC)
    is also close and has Buff Silkies + lots of other breeds.

Those would be my picks for a Feb delivery.

I'm really sorry if I'm forgetting anyone. I look forward to trying many
    others' eggs here and also getting more of Cynthia's Blue Orp eggs
    so I end up with another splash and can rub it in. (Now that's a run on
    sentence - geesh)

See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/profile.php?id=68

4. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hey swapper!
    i will send you some of my silkie eggs at the end of the month (or i can delay and send it so it will arrive around the third week of feb - or wait, you WANT the eggs to hatch the third week right?) along with the other package . . .
    i've got some in my own bator right now but i've never tried to hatch so i don't know how it will go.
    but maybe worth a try yah? (fyi, my roo is a big beautiful buff boy and my laying hens are a partridge and a blue).
    let me know and i'll start collecting in a few days if you like. i think i might be able to get ya six. my girls have been laying almost every day. also, my sicilian buttercup has been laying ALOT. i have no idea what those babies will look like (buttercup, silkie X) but here's what buttercup looks like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Thanks PC! I'll definitely check all that out (still reeling from a nasty day at work...) I almost missed the rabbit info.

6. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:LOL, yeah, I know but one can hope can't one??? I know I'll be able to find homes for any roos. But I'm sure my son will have his favorite chick turn out to be a roo and then he can knock on all the neighbors' doors and look cute when he apologizes for the noise (Apparently I'm in competition with PC for run-on sentences....)

Thanks for this info too! The bator is on my kitchen table as we speak. Did I mention there's a turner too?

7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Oh cool! Yeah, we are all off from school the week of Feb 18. and now that I look at the calendar I realize that is a week earlier than I thought. I'd need to put them in fairly soon to have a hatch that week. If we don't get any in for then that's okay too. Good luck with yours, I'll be waiting along with you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by