Wanted in New York

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by GardenGirl, Feb 29, 2008.

1. GardenGirl

GardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to owning chickens. My husband and I rescued a banty rooster and a standard RIR hen from a local shelter. We would like to add two or three more laying hens to our small family. I would like them to be docile or even friendly because the hen is very friendly.

Does anyone have an idea where I could acquire a few young laying hens in the tri-state area of New York? We really do not want to add 25 chicks from a hatchery, nor do we know how to raise chicks. From what we were told it is very time consuming and our kitty would probably freak if we had small birds in the house. (He is an indoor only kitty)

Thank you for any help!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You could try Craigslist. [​IMG]

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

4. GardenGirl

Thank you. I will try both places. [​IMG]

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I got two from Freecycle a few years ago.

6. chickiemomma

chickiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2008
    New City, New York
    I have a 9 mo. old RIR rooster if your are interested. He is chicken, dog, cat and adult human friendly, but does not like small children. I'm in Rockland County, New York.

7. GardenGirl

Thank you for the offer, but I have a banty rooster who was upset with the other roosters at the shelter when they came near his hen. I also have a 20 month old little boy who loves the chickens and I would need chickens who could tolerate him being near them.

8. chickiemomma

Feb 19, 2008
    New City, New York
    It's ok, I also have 4 little kids who love to be outside playing with the chickens. That's why I'm trying to find roo a nice home with no kids. Have you tried the local feed stores, sometimes people selling hens put flyers up. Good Luck!

9. chickiemomma

Feb 19, 2008
    New City, New York
    There is a elderly man on Craigs list selling 8 mo. old White Wyandotte hens. He is in Warwick, New York. I emailed him and think I will get six. Planning to pick-up on Wed. I know he has more and would probably sell you what you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by