WANTED in OR- 2 Small wether or doe goats for brush eating

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Little Chicken Farmers, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Little Chicken Farmers

Little Chicken Farmers Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    We are looking for two small (pygmy?) goats to help keep some brushy areas eaten down. We have a 6 acre farm with horses, chickens, rabbit...etc.... We do not want anything that needs milking and do not want a buck. These would be pets and get lots of love. Looking for free or VERY inexpensive! Can pick up in Portland Metro/Willamette Valley/ or Vancouver, WA area. THANKS!

2. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to be a Dairy Goat 4H leader so I cringe whenever I see anyone asking for goats to graze. Goats really don't like to eat brush. They are browsers not grazers. They prefer to eat from the chest up, not along the ground. A grazed goat is a hungry goat.

What you really need is sheep. They are natural grazers.

3. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    I used to be a Dairy Goat 4H leader so I cringe whenever I see anyone asking for goats to graze. Goats really don't like to eat brush. They are browsers not grazers. They prefer to eat from the chest up, not along the ground. A grazed goat is a hungry goat.

This is a good thing to know. I am looking to get a pygmy myself.

I have been told to have more than on tho as they are herd animals.

4. Little Chicken Farmers

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    I had two pygmy goats when I was younger.....seems like they ate everything in site... and they had a large pen. Were not wanting for food....I have about a 3/4 acre field...its not just grass its shurbs... litte tree sprouts...etc.... You think sheep would be better? It seems like people advertise goats as "brush eaters". I dont know a lot about goats....just remember the ones we had years ago....

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My neighbor across the street is looking for a home for her mother's 2 goats, as she is elderly and is getting to where it is h ard to take care of them. I don't know much about them, but I will ask and let you know.

6. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    I think it depends on what you are wanting them to eat. For many ppl when they hear the word *graze* they think green grass pasture..and i agree thats not what goats prefer to eat. Wool sheep are better for lawnmowers. Hair sheep do both graze and browse. Goats are browsers.. as someone mentioned they eat all the small trees, leaves off lower branches, bushes, shrubs, etc.

We have 8 acres of woods and my goats are *always* in the woods. The just weaned babies get about a cup of grain a day. The adults that arent pg or milking dont get anything. And they are all plenty fat. My wether will eat grain if its there..hes a piglet. But my does wont touch it from spring til fall cause they are always full of the stuff they find to browse on in the woods. They have done a really good job of clearing the brush in there..but with 8 acres and they never run out lol.

The breed of goat makes a big difference as to how good of weedeaters and brush clearers they are. Some breeds of dairy goats need a lot of grain just to keep them in good condition no matter how much pasture or browse they have.

7. Little Chicken Farmers

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    I am not so much looking for them to graze grass..... I am wanting them to go after the little shrubs and tree sprouts and some blackberries..... It is a very overgrown area so they can take there pick! I have had a few people say sheep would work well also. I am open to sheep or goats..... Just want something back there. This particular area is just not suitable for my horses. It needs to be re-fenced with taller fencing and that is not going to happen any time soon. We have 6acres...2 horses...one pony...as it is I have to rotate them off the grass so they dont founder!! A LOT of pasture is a blessing and a curse!!

8. Little Chicken Farmers

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    My neighbor across the street is looking for a home for her mother's 2 goats, as she is elderly and is getting to where it is h ard to take care of them. I don't know much about them, but I will ask and let you know.

That would be great..... I would just prefer that they not be a breeding pair.... dont need a million little goat-lings [​IMG]

I will send you a message!!!!!!!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by