Wanted: INDIAN RUNNER DUCKLING

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mcblonde, Sep 13, 2012.

1. mcblonde

mcblonde New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    Hi There ...

I'm looking for a baby Indian Runner duck in Mass. So far, impossible to find (unless I order 3 from a hatchery!)

HELP! ...LOL

Thanks one and all ... Susan

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. mcblonde

mcblonde New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    No luck so far ...but still hopeful. Never realized it'd be so hard to find one little duck ...lol

Have been reading all your post's tho and I'm learning!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for you, BYC is an awesome place to find out all there is to know about ducks, keep coming back eventually you'll meet up with someone. Why just 1?

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

There I go again, hijacking....

6. mcblonde

mcblonde New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    Well ... I have a small dog who does well with anything smaller than him ... and babies ...lol
    He loves babies of all species, but I dont want to overwhelm him with a flock...lol. (he worries
    too much!)

Wynette-LOL, hijack away! I enjoyed your site very much ... it doesn't appear you sell individual
    ducks tho ...Do you? ??

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Ducks need other ducks to truly be happy, please concider two anytime dealing with any poultry. Two of the same species as well. Ducks and chickens can trigger the predator instinct in even what an owner calls a dog who loves everything/one.

Also chck your local laws, ducks are thought of as livestock in many areas. Often they are banned, but it is getting better on laws allowing them in urban/suburban areas.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Please do not get just one duckling. Ducks are flock birds and need others of the same kind to be happy. A single duckling will be very stressed.

Have you got a brooder set up? You know they need a heat source and controlled temperatures when they are young or they will die.

You should be very careful of you dog and ducks - some sudden movement or noise from a frightened duck can trigger a dog to attack.

Have you got a pond or water area for the ducks to swim. They need water to bath and swim in to help control their body temperature. They also are very messy and will poop watery poops everywhere, mix their food with the water and then splatter it all over the place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by