*WANTED* Mandarin Ducks

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Nivrocco, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    I would like to get a pair of Mandarin Ducks...prefer to pick up if possible. Does anyone know of a breeder that I might get in touch with? I am located in VA.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I have seen some in the for sale section on the gbwf forum site, although I don,t think any were from virginia

3. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    Thanks!

4. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Im also interested in these birds. They are really beautiful; however, i have heard they are INCREDIBLY difficult to keep. Ive heard stories of them flying out of peoples yards, getting stolen, and various other disasters. Also i heard that they nest in tree tops in the evenings, and burrow/nest in hollow tree trunks. This seems like ALOT of work to keep a few ornamental ducks, but are these things correct? can some Mandarin Duck owners please tell their stories, or share with us the ease or stressfullness of owning them? I would like to know the truth from the people that raise them..

Thanks,

Nate

5. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:Mandarins are not hard to keep at all.

They, like any other wild waterfowl, do have to be kept in an enclosed avairy to keep them around. They do like to perchon things in the pen and next is a raised nesting box like a wood duck. Out of the waterfowl I had last year (Mandarins, Wood Ducks, Greenwing teal and ring teal) they did the best as far as breeding.
    To me they are not stressful but relaxing to watch.

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Last year I had 1 Mandarin Pair and now I have 2 pair. Mine spend most of the time in an enclosed aviary but in the summer, when we are out there able to watch out for predators, I let them freerange in my backyard. One pair is pinioned and 1 pair is just clipped. They muck around with all the other calls, etc., play in the kiddie pools and then parade back into the enclosure with all the rest when it's time. I love my mandies. They are absolutely the most gorgeous and I love their soft, odd vocalizations.

8. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Mandarins Are Possibl One Of The Easiest Exotic Ducks To Maintai. If You Dont Want Them To Fly Buy Pinioned Birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by