Wanted-MI- inexpensive cages

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Momma_Cluck, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    I'm looking for wire carrying cages-- like about 20inches square or so..
    I tried Ebay, nothing available right now....

Does anyone know a good source? I need 8 of them, and don't want to have to pay a fortune!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I make my own, it's cheep and strong and they look really nice. I will find a pic of one and send to you. The good thing is you make it whatever size you want. And if I can do it ANYONE can! LOL I did the whole thing myself too [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh and by the way...it took me 30 min to an hour to make one. And if you cut all the wood right away it will take even less time per cage. And they are not that heavy for a smaller one either. I put handles on both sides so I can carry it.

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:Yes, please post pictures, I would be interested to see too.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Here is one of them in the garage...my hens LOVE it for roosting on as you can see LOL They always seem to want to come in the garage and hand out!

[​IMG]

6. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Do you route the corners? I can't figure out how you attach 'em with only one screw. [​IMG]
    -Spooky

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Here is one a little bigger but shorter. And I used 2x2's and hardware cloth and a piece of plywood for the floor. I did learn tho that I want to put sides about 6 inches high if anyone would be staying any length of time in them They kick pine shavings all over otherwise... you can use chicken wire if your just going to used them for transferring them chickens. It would be even cheaper [​IMG] I planned on using these for hospital cages If I ever needed any. Sorry for such huge pics!

[​IMG]

8. tailsnfeathers

tailsnfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Newberry,Fl
    What a lovely cage! but... I am like the worlds worst carpenter.[​IMG]

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ok what I did was used one screw in one side and another screw off center on the opposite side. I will try and find close up pics as to how I did it. It is NICE and strong though. We toss them around all over the place and not one has broke. I always drill the holes first so it is nice and tight. Drill all the way through the first 2x2 (same size as the screw so the screw slides through) and do NOT drill the other one so when it screws in it pulls them nice and tight together. If you want I can show you detailed pics...I'm in the process of making another one now.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    What a lovely cage! but... I am like the worlds worst carpenter.sad

Well good news. So am I LOL I had NEVER done anything like this before ever. It's REALLY easy to do. If you can't run a small saw then have someone cut the pieces for you. Putting it together is simple VERY simple in fact. All you need is a drill and a electric screwdriver and some screws [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by