Wanted Predator-wise Rooster in SE Iowa

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by wren, Aug 1, 2007.

1. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I need an older big rooster to watch over my pullets as they free-range. One that can alert them to danger and bring them back to a safe area-generally be a good leader with smarts. The chickens are shut in for the night, and allowed to free range during the day. They have a 20' by 40' run that is safe from everything but hawks and I've never lost one to a hawk. It is my dream to have them spread out into the acres of horse pasture that is nearby.

Please send a picture of Roo! [​IMG]

I know that I am putting my chickens at risk-this is not up for disscussion on this thread please!

Two paddocks in the foreground divided by a fence with a pasture in the background.
    [​IMG]

More pasture ground. The dark bumps in the distance by the fenceline are horses.
    [​IMG]

My chickens enjoying the dirt paddock that is inbetween their run and the pasture.
    [​IMG]

The circular run is there so I can keep them contained but they can still be outside. The cement area outside of the circular run is dog free.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Hey Wren, where in SE IOWA are you? I am right between Cedar Rapids and Waterloo. I have 3 roos that I need to get rid of. These are all a little over a year old. I honestly am not sure totally how they would be for protector since they usually dont range far from the barn. The third and I think most nice looking of the roos is the son of my top roo and so he gets beat on if he tries to mate. The last pic is of my top roo, you can see why he is in charge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my top roo, he already has 1 inch spurs but is very nice. He is 2 yrs old
    [​IMG]
    If you are interested in any or all of the first 3 let me know, other wise they will be going to the swap on the 12th. Jenn

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i actually have 2 roos that watch my free range girls. i have about 20 girls, so....but if the girls wander off, the other roo is there to make sure they're looked after. if the beta roo tries to mate the alpha roo's girls, he chases him off but they don't fight.

thinking all i needed was one roo, i sold the beta roo one time. i lost 3 girls the following week to who knows what. i won't be withouth 2 boys again.

jmtc

4. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    jkcove08

I think we can work something out. I am 30 min south of Iowa City on a farm outside of Crawfordsville. I volunteer in Iowa City on Fridays. I like the black roos-I used to have black rosecombs and they are attractive-but what is the third wild colored one? Is his dad purebred? I like his coloring and his green tail. I think that he looks like the one for me. If he has been trying to usurp his dad he could rule my roost.

You mentioned the 12th. Are you going to the swap in Burlington?

5. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I've been looking every where for the dates of the swap in Burlington. You mentioned the 12th. Are they going to have anymore after that??

6. jkcove08

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Burlington is 8-12 and 9-9..

7. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    How does one find out about these swap meets? Where are they held? Is there a site that has more information? I would like to go to the 9-9 one. [​IMG]

8. jkcove08

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Hey Laura,
    On the second page of poultry swaps and show on this site has the direction to the Burlington swap. Once you go to your first swap you can usually find flyers to others. What part of Iowa are you in? Depending on your area there are several around where I live. Let me know and I can tell you the last few for this year. They usually end around the end of September. Jenn

9. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Southeast Iowa Pigeon Club 2007 Buy Sell Trade days. Everything in fur, feathers & flea market items. Aug 12, Sept 9. Held at Southeastern Community College grounds. Hwys. 34 & 406 Gear Ave West Burlington IA. Parking $2.00 All poultry and waterfowl must be S. Pullorum tested. The Scouts sell food and beverages there, and the whole thing is over at noon. They hand out business cards with info about their sale & dates.

Tubaugh Auction has an exotic animal, livestock and bird auction every once in awhile in Kalona IA. I don't know when the next one is. Anyone know? They want you to pay $8 for the pleasure of walking around to look at things. The chickens, ducks ect are sold first come first serve for about $10 each outside of the ring. They sell a LOT of goats.

10. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    jkcove08,

I am in Iowa City! I have updated my profile as well to show that.

I have never been to a swap before but would like too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by