Wanted - Rare Breeds

Discussion in 'Chickens 8 Weeks & Older' started by smoknz28, Feb 25, 2015.

1. smoknz28

smoknz28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA
    We reside in the central Virginia area and I'd like to add more rare breeds to my existing flock, but I don't know where to turn for them.

I have considered mail order...but I have never used a service like that and I wouldn't even know what would be the best recommended site for this.

Help on this greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Mark

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. smoknz28

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA
    Thank you. [​IMG]

4. bloodline

bloodline New Egg

Jul 4, 2014
    What part of Cen VA are you in. I'm all so live in Cen VA. Try Amherst Milling, they have some rare chicks now.

5. smoknz28

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA

Actually reside near Spotsylvania.

The drive looks to be 2-hours.......doh!

Thank you for the recommendation though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  6. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    I sent you a private message.
    I bought hatching eggs from Boggy Bottom Bantams. I have a year of feed and care invested in them. One is a Silver(black and white) rooster with 2 hens and one is a Fly-Tie Phoenix Bantam rooster and 2 hens. I am down sizing. My hubby tells me I have roo many. I sent you a private message.
    I can meet you half way.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. anac1979

anac1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Depends on what you're looking for. If you want show quality rare breeds, a hatchery is the last place I would turn to. If you just want layers, then a hatchery is fine. Some of them have prety nice birds but mostly not show worthy. There are many people on here that sell rare breeds or you could buy hatching eggs. Again, depends on what you're looking for. I have Brahmas which are considered a rare breed, although I think they are more common than some other breeds. I sell non standard colors though. Greenfire Farms sells many different kinds of rare breeds. I would first figure out what kind of rare breed chickens you want, then go from there. Good luck! PM if you have any questions. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. nase

nase New Egg

Apr 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by