WANTED> RIR LAYING HENS IN NH

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by NHmountainchicks, May 25, 2008.

1. NHmountainchicks

NHmountainchicks New Egg

May 25, 2008
    Hi,

I am new to the forum and raising chickens. We just built a coop/shed. I am looking for laying hens in the NH area. We live in northern NH, and are willing to drive aprox. 1 hour to pick them up. thank you!

2. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    theres a guy in Athol mass. with 1 yo rir already laying but dont know where you are from him he is 15 minutes from richmond, nh

3. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    I just wanted to let you know that it may be difficult to find laying hens or even pullets that are ready to lay. The market has been crazy this year. You can try checking your local craigslist or you may just want to try to order pullets from a hatchery (although this has been difficult this year, as well!). They should start laying for you in 4-5 months. Good luck!!

Leah
    www.popsonfarm.com

4. NHmountainchicks

NHmountainchicks New Egg

May 25, 2008
    Thank you for the help. I was able to find a local grain store about 1 hour from me. He has 20 week old pullets coming in June. He said it was his biggest order ever for his store. Everybody is starting to raise chickens! Thank you again. [​IMG]

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hello and welcome to BYC. This certainly has been a crazy year for chicks and chickens. My feed store took orders plus got extras and they practically flew out of there by themselves.
    Is that feed store getting those 20 week old pullets from someone local?
    You are going to love having chickens, they are so funny. [​IMG]

6. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    Hi! NHmountainchicks, nice to see someone else in northern NH! Where is this feed store? I might be looking to pick up a layer or two as well, and the idea of not having to drive to ME, Mass, or VT is really appealing! (I am in Twin Mt.)
    -S

7. NHmountainchicks

NHmountainchicks New Egg

May 25, 2008
    Quote:Hi Shaun,

I am in Sugar Hill. We have a small lot in Twin Mountain near Shakespeares. We almost built on it, but it was too difficult with the building boom over the last few years. We just bought an existing house instead. We are getting our pullet from W. Lebanon. The number is 298-8600. They ordered over 400 chickens for the store. Most were pre-ordered, but I bet he has some for stock.[​IMG]

8. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    Very Cool! We're just up the road a ways from Shakespeares! I'll give them a buzz and see if they'll have any left. What breeds did they have available?

9. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    i just looked on cragislist they have a few on there check them out

10. NHmountainchicks

NHmountainchicks New Egg

May 25, 2008
    Quote:They were a "mixed breed", they are supposed to be great layers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by