1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanted: Rooster near Washington County, MD

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by smoketownchick, Dec 10, 2008.

1. smoketownchick

smoketownchick New Egg

Jun 24, 2008
    We are looking for a rooster, preferably RIR. I would like one who respects people and is located near Washington County, Maryland or surrounding area. Anyone here have one available?

Also, has anyone purchased hens or roosters from the livestock auction in Hagerstown or Greencastle, PA?

Smoketown Chick

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I just took my EE roo (and some other chickens) to the Greencastle auction last night. And came home with 3 others lol, no self control here!

We usually go to the Greencastle auction each week (that they are open), both to sell and buy. A lot of what you find there is good, but you just have to be careful, like with anything.

I have gotten a lot of chicks, some hens and even a couple roosters from there since we found out about the auction. My Chinchilla, bunny and 6 of my ducks were all bought at the auction as well!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  3. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    have not...but i am going to the one in greencastle on wed...i went on wed this week and missed the poultry...also wheres the one in hagerstown? And I have some RIR eggs in the incubator...theyre due to hatch on new years, theyre supposed to be really good show quality stock, you can have one of my cockerels when they hatch if you want

4. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:what kind of birds came through there that I missed? I didnt get there till 7:30 and of course they were doing bunnies then....I will be there on time next week lol....i did get a 2 feeders for 50 cents lol

5. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I must have just missed you then! We left just as they started the bunnies. I got an EE and a mixed bantam hen. I will be back next Wed. if the weather is nice, I have a roo and some juvies to sell.

They have such a wide variety go through there its hard to remember. I know there were two cages of pretty game hens, bunch of Sex Link hens, lots of roos and quite a few that I didn't recognize the breed of..probably barnyard mixes. Although I am no expert on all breeds and they hold them up quick, so I probably miss out on some good ones!

Right now, the chicken sale part is over by 7:30 because there is hardly any produce ahead of it. In the Summer, they wouldn't even get to start on the chickens til 7:30 or 8. Then its guinea pigs and chicks/ducklings on the middle table, then pigeons and doves, then the chickens, bunnies and misc stuff at the end. We wouldn't get out of there some nights til 10pm!

6. chickenpea

chickenpea Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2007
    southern md
    does anyone have an address so I can mapquest it?

7. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Greencastle Livestock Market Inc
    720 Buchanan Trail East
    Greencastle, Pa 17225-9502
    (717) 597-2171

During the Winter months they only hold the poultry auctions 2 weeks each month. I forgot to pick up a schedule, so I am not sure which weeks it is in January. Its always Wednesday nights though. And I believe next Wed. is the last one for December.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I've never heard of the auction in Hagerstown, but go to the Geencastle one often to trade chickens with Deb (SunAngel). [​IMG] We should think about having a chickenstock this spring since more members are in the area.

9. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a Welsummer rooster in Montgomery County, MD. Zip code 20841. He's still kind of young, but he's growing into a very handsome fellow and will be ready to fertilize eggs in the spring. He's quite friendly for a rooster. I don't know your specific address, but MapQuest says we're only 50 minutes away from each other. I may be able to meet you in Frederick. Interested? [​IMG]

10. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    there is also a auction in ephrata pa, called Green Dragon. They have auctions on Fridays, a huge flea market during the day, and at 6:30pm the small animal auction starts. I will defiantly have to check out the other auctions. I have bought fro there and never had any problems. But you always have to watch what our buying anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by