wanted- silkie hen in northern IN/ Michigan/ Illinois

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by FamilyOfChickens, Jul 30, 2007.

1. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    We're interested in getting a 3 to 6 month old (or somewhere around there, just /at least/ 3 months) Silkie hen. We're in NW Indiana- it has to be somwhere reasonably close, unless, of course, you're willing to drive a distance. [​IMG] Grey or buff is preferred, but any color is fine, really.

Anyone have any?

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have a trio for sale, 1 cockerel, 2 pullets. They are 14 weeks old, white and non bearded. Asking $25 for the trio. Will only sell as a trio. I am located in lower, lower Michigan. Please email if interested.
    Gayle
    chi lady in Michigan

[email protected]

3. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    That'd be great, except we can't have/don't want another roo. Thanks anyways.

4. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm guessing no one has any silkies to sell? [​IMG]

EDIT: Come to think of it, if anyone has two to three chicks, we could probably take them. An older one would be the ideal situation, but if no one has any, we could probably take a few chicks. (You can no longer get sexed silkies from My Pet Chicken- you can just get a bantam assortment. That's what we get for waiting. :mad:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  5. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I still have my trio. If you get chicks you will probably end up with a roo anyway. Maybe you can find a home for the roo and keep the 2 pullets.
    Gayle

6. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I guess we'll have to see...Do you have pics of them?

It's also just that white silkies are not my cup of tea as far as looks go, but I suppose they would be just as fun.

Are the birds friendly?

7. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Sorry, I don't have a camera. They are friendly in that they will eat out of my hand but they don't like to be picked up. Once caught, they are fine. My grandkids play with them but I would rather just watch my chickens than to cuddle them. I have 12 little chihuahuas to cuddle with. [​IMG]

Gayle
    Chi lady in Michigan

8. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Family of Chickens,
    I would really like to sell my trio to you but if you REALLY don't want white, I can give you a contact email to a lady near me who has many different colors. Since she is a breeder of show quality birds, her prices will reflect that. Let me know.

Gayle

9. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Well, we're going to talk about it when our dad gets him. Like I said, really the only problem would be the rooster. (We already have two Ameracauna roos, and it's just be too much of a hassle to integrate him into the flock for us right now. And we just don't want another one right now. [​IMG] ) The fact that they're white is not really a big problem, it's just that I like the way the other colors look more than I do the whites. And the fact that they're non-bearded is a plus.

I'll send you an e-mail once my family and I talk about it a little more.

Thanks!

Oh, and out of curiousity, when do silkies normally begin to lay? And I've heard that she will lay for a while before going broody, if she will at all. Is that right?

10. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I am pretty new to all this chicken stuff myself. I would think that they will begin to lay about the same as most other chickens, around 20 weeks. Silkies are the most broody of all chickens and yes they will probably lay for a time before going broody. Are you looking for a broody? Many people keep silkies just to brood eggs from their other birds. I wouldn't breed silkies to a standard roo though. The little silkie would prabably end up hurt from the weight of the roo.

Gayle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by