Wanted: Silkies

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by WestKnollAmy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Hi, new member here wanting to find Silkies for pets. Don't want white but any other color is fine. Would like 4-6 pullets.
    Located in upstate SC and will drive approximately 50 miles.

Nadine

2. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I am in upstate sc- in Easley I don't have any that I can say for sure are pullets yet-but I have a few chicks-and eggs being laid daily .I haven't been getting great fertility so I would be forced to give you the eggs : )

3. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    You are not far from me. I'm on the other side of Greenville from you.
    I have no way right now to hatch the eggs unless one of my hens will go broody. I would like to put eggs under one and take out the Cochin eggs to eat. At this point I don't want to raise plain white Cochins. I would like to hatch other eggs though.

Do you candle yours to see if they are fertile?

If you want to sell any chicks, please let me know. I plan for the Silkies to have their own coop and possibly a private pen as we free range our Cochins right now.

Thanx for your response!

4. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I have some silkie chicks that i would like to find a home for. They are mostly buff collor but with grey / black mixed in. Only problem is, silkies are very hard to sex, sometimes you cant tell till they crow or lay a egg. Mine are from 2 weeks old to 1.5 months old. I live in augusta GA. right on the boarder with SC.

chickhamm
    Theressa
    GA

5. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    you can't "see" if their fertile till the've been cooking for about a week-the other side of greenville? like mauldin?

6. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Hey ChickHam, I am in Folkston Georgia. I wouldn't mind taking a few of those silkies off your hands. Are they mostly hens? I don't mind a few roo's though. I am not sure how far you are from me. We are close to the Waycross/Brunswick area. But I am having to go half way to Atlanta from here on May 10th. So that might work. [​IMG] You can PM me!

7. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Priszilla,
    The other side of Greenville, north of Greer.[​IMG]
    I have never candled eggs but was wondering if that was an option. None of my girls are going broody right now and I really don't want an incubator. Not my thang, ya know.
    I am interested in chicks and understand if I even get roos.
    I have 4 Cochin roos right now but since we have made them pets we won't put them in the freezer so we are setting up a few different coops for them. They don't fight.......yet. But the hens are sick of them.[​IMG]

I have chick orders in with 2 different hatcheries but neither had any Silkies for me except for one. I don't want only one, I'd like to have 5-6 but with about 70 other chicks coming I am not sure if this one Silkie will make it. Be my luck it wouldn't. And if it does it will probably be a roo![​IMG] My daughter will still love it but I would like some hens for broody purposes. So far my Cochins have not gone broody but I expect them to one day.(fingers crossed) We will be hatching out chicks next spring here from our dual purpose and raise enough to put in the freezer.

Chickhamm,
    I know where Augusta is and I am afraid that is way too far. That is about 200 miles one way and I can't leave home for that amount of time it would take. I would love to but can't. I wish I even knew someone headed that way or back up to transport but at this time I don't.

Thanx!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by