1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanted: Slikie hens in Western WA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by L&Schickens, Jan 16, 2009.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I am looking for 2 or maybe 3 silkies with a good work ethic to sit and hatch eggs for me.
    Thanks!!
    I am in Centralia, WA

2. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    try hattrick they might have some every now and then

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    ??? Are they a BYC member?

4. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Gee Wiz Shellie! Like you ain't got enough birds now? LOL

Look up Sheryl Butler. Wasn't she the one selling the Silkies at the WFF Show?

God Bless,

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I don't want show birds, I just want cheap junkers that will sit for me.
    Or do I? [​IMG]
    Yes, cheap junkers is waht I need. [​IMG]

7. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    L&Schickens :

I don't want show birds, I just want cheap junkers that will sit for me.
    Or do I? [​IMG]
    Yes, cheap junkers is waht I need. [​IMG]

lol! type in a google search " silkie chickens for sale in PA classified" you should get results.... hope it works for ya!​

8. roosterrescue

roosterrescue Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2007
    rainier washington
    Your best bet is to get some bantam cochin hens.. they will sit just as well as silke but hold up to our washinhgton weather better..

I do not live far from you and have 2 barred cochin hens that will do the trick and have a trio of cuckuu that hatched sept that will be good too(1 roo though in that trio)

The cuckoo I want $30 for group and the barred I want $15 ea since aliitle more mature I do have a young barred roo I can throw in with them 2..

Cheryl does have great birds I have some of hers her but for just using as broodies you might want to go cheaper and less show on the silkes since there crest is so big the are more prone to getting sick in our winter weathers if not proctected ..

I live in Rainier/Yelm are not far from you at all

off on sat/sun

Tracey let me know if interested

I will send you my #

9. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:That true cochins will out set silkies i have 16 silkies and none will go broody i have 6 cochins and they go broody constintly and as soon as you take the young from them they start laying again

10. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have a bantam Cochin now and she will not sit for anything. I let her lay 15 of her own eggs before I finally took them, in hopes of trading them out for eggs I wanted her to hatch. So, I don't know about them. [​IMG]
    But, I guess I would be willing to try her out again. I am just disappointed she showed zero interest in sitting on eggs. [​IMG]

roosterrescue I will think about your offer. I am not interested in breeding bantam cochins, so no roo needed, but if I had to take one to get a broody hen, I would. [​IMG]

And briarpatchfarms, I am in Washington State [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by