Wanted some Rare breed info

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bossynbella, Jan 7, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We are considering getting an ornamental layer collection from mcmurray hatchery.

Some of the breeds included are very cool but don't have much info in the catalog was wondering if anyone has or knows anything much about these breeds.

Crevecoeurs, Sultans, Mottled Houdans, Langshans, Sumatras, and Red Caps

These are just the breeds I havn't heard much about. Any pictures of adult birds would be great. Sometimes a drawing just doesn't cut it

Thanks to all
    Melissa

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I've had Redcaps. They are small, flighty and I didn't like them at all. I sold them.
    This is what the females look like. The males have an extremely large rose comb, which is not a breed to have where it get's cold. As far as being a good layer, well not at all, compared to other breeds likes BR or even Wyandottes.
    [​IMG]

I could never get close enough to the rooster to get a good picture. [​IMG]
    This is him...
    [​IMG]

I've never had the other breeds, so I couldn't tell you how they are, Sultans are awfully cute, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    :)You can go to feather site and there are links to pages about all the charecteristics of different breeds. I think there is one I SEE You Handy Dandy Chicken chart by Henderson that is pretty nice. I think Houdans are very tame and Sumatras are not so tame but they are Beautiful. Have you tried Sandhill Preservation Hatchery? They will answer ? for you over the phone and I heard they have nice birds.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]I have seen the Langshans from McMurray and they are wonderful birds. They are so soft and rather tame

5. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Crevecoeurs are not good layers. I breed show quality birds and they are difficult. They are beautiful and I wouldn't trade them for the world, but they don't lay well, and they're winter layers. My best hen is 4 yo and has pretty much stopped laying. I love 'em, but if you're looking for eggs, I wouldn't suggest them. If you want eye candy, they're perfect. Hope this helped a bit.

-Sarah

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
  7. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Thanks for all the good information. I am going with this deal because I think it will be fun figuring out which breeds they are. I know I might not end up with any of the ones I mentioned but its still going to be alot of fun!

Keep the information coming I Loved the pics of the redcaps they look alot different then they do in the drawings. Any one have pics of the other breeds??

Thanks again

Melissa

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I found a book at Barnes & Noble bookstore called Pocket Guide to Poultry. It is really good as it has a lot of rare breeds and says what their status is. I was surprised how many of ours our considered rare. Good luck if you get a mottled Houdan...we just got one and I am becoming infatuated with her already!

9. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I got that assortment last Spring...I'm happy with them. I did add more Sultans and Sumatras to my order though- they are small compared to the others when they arrive and 2 of each of mine died- so I'm glad I ordered more- I have 3 of each now. They are small when full grown- they are shy somewhat but but nice. My Sultan roos do not try to hurt any of us ever- they are low on the leader board probably. My Blue Andalusian Roo is King out there....here are 2 pix of the Sultan Roos on a dirty muddy day:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't have any Sumatra pix (of them grown up anyway) I'll try to get some soon and add here...they are beautiful and they each lay smallish white eggs....
    Lisa

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I have a Sultan Rooster and he is a hoot! I love him and I am definitely going to get him a lady or two. Hector is friendly and easy to handle, he is not aggressive towards me. Now occasionally he will get nasty with my other roo, but I just pick him up give him a little spanking and problem over. I love him.

Here is a photo of Mr. Hector:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by