Wanted SW Washington:Black SQ Bantam(of some kind)for kid to show

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by L&Schickens, Feb 10, 2009.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I need a black bantam of some kind that IS truly show quality to replace my black Rose Combs for my son. He loves Bantams and he loves black bantams best. He has had a Black Dutch (I sold, not good enough,) a Black half Sebright half Serama, (sold mixed breed) and now Black Rose Combs (That are also not Show Quality IMO). Maybe black OEG? are they a good kids bird? I hate dubbing though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    love OEGB...if you don't want to dub then these are not for you...that is part of the standard...just because they come from show lines doesn't mean that all the birds will be of show quality...do you want to buy birds ready for show, chicks, eggs, or what?

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Adult or near adult would be best. Like over 6 months so you can really tell if they are going to be SQ or not.
    I MIGHT be able to dub, but I would need to be near the toilet while I did it. [​IMG]

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    for that type of bird and if you are expecting to win be ready to pay...they cost...there is a guy that sells birds on eggbid fairly regular...usually has some opal birds on there...he has blacks and might have some...he is located in OK...I got some from him...most folks that you buy birds from are not going to sell you a bird that will beat them though...just a warning and maybe a suggestion to look for younger birds or hatching eggs from someone with good birds...

5. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    or if you just buy from someone not in your area n have the birds shipped you dont have to worry about them competing against you unless your gonna show all over the country....go to the Rosecomb Federation website and look under members and find someone who has black (look all the way to the right and theyll tell you what colors they have) and call them and get a bird from them.....rosecombs are very showy birds if you get the right kind
    rick hare is the best....i have some on the way from him....best of luck!

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I don't mind having them shipped. I am willing to try Rose Combs again, now that I know better what to look for. [​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Have you tried Rosecomb-Ryan? I'm sure he'd LOVE to set you up with some? LOL

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Maybe black OEG? are they a good kids bird? I hate dubbing though

OEG Standard would not be a good kids bird they are aggressive OEGB would be more tame, and smaller. I have a BB Red Hatch hen that is a sweetheart, will even go to sleep in my lap. But my Hulsey is no where near friendly, no matter how much I handle her.

Dark Cornish are a very friendly bird both standard and bantam and SQ will not cost as much as OEG standard. But the hen is not black though they are a very attractive hen.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/cornishbantam.htm

Cackle has some very nice pics though I have no idea if they are SQ.​

9. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    My favorite black show chickens are

The White faced black spanish bantams
    Black Silkies
    Black dutch
    black Cochins
    black seramas
    and the black Rosecombs

10. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Maybe try the show in Stevenson in April, I am trying to convince my parents to take me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by