Wanted: THE BIGGEST BADDEST ROOSTER IN GEORGIA!!!!!

chemlight

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Rydal, GA
Well looks as though we lost two more hens today....at least one to a hawk, but can't find the other. A week or two ago we lost a rooster and a hen to a dog. This whole free ranging thing doesn't seem to be all it is supposed to be. Especially for the chickens!!!!!

I want a haus that will even make me think twice about getting around his ladies. Just kidding I am in a partnership with my youngest (9) and don't want her hurt. Looking for people friendly, but something to chase off a dog, hawk, bear, or rhino!!!!!!

Chad

Last edited:
Even a big, bad rooster is no match for most dogs. What the rooster will do is keep watch better than the hens and alarm to get them to safety, then he will often sacrifice himself for his girls. I am not fooling myself that Dutch, Mace or Suede can successfully battle a dog, but they will give the girls time to get out of harm's way. I do have a young Delaware rooster I'm selling cheap (22 wks old), but being young and inexperienced and a pretty glaring white, not sure he'd be much help.

Last edited:
Yeah thats what our last roo did, gave the girls time to get away. What breed is that in your pic? He's nice. I'm leaning towards a RIR or Brahma, but am open to suggestions. We can't afford to lose any more hens though, now down to only 2 layers.
sad.png

That big guy is my Blue Orpington rooster, Suede. The blue Orp roos are humongous (Suede is about 12 lbs, I think), but they are not as agile in their movement as a slightly smaller rooster would be. Once Suede managed to go through the door that divided his side from my older BR rooster, Hawkeye's side. I saw them fighting in the pen and separated them. Hawkeye didn't really have a scratch, but Suede looked like he'd been in prize fight, which he really had! Hawkeye was much more agile than Suede, so that was most of the reason he came out on top, I think.
I have no idea how my Delaware Jake would fare, but he is a jumpy guy since the hormones kicked in and he started grabbing the ladies. He may turn out to be a great flock leader or he may not. His sire was about 9 lbs and I think Jake will make that mark in a couple of months. I dont have any other roosters available at the moment, just Jake. He may be destined for my pot if no one takes him.
I think a Barred Rock rooster would be a great choice. I've been very impressed with them; first Hawkeye (who died this year) and his sons, Dutch, Mace and my crippled boy, Zane. All had excellent temperaments and are on the spot when something threatens the girls. I just dont have any of those avail. at the moment. I have 40-something hens in the main laying flock and the two BR brothers look after them, too many for just one rooster.
You are about 58-60 miles from me, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
I have plenty of roo's you can choose from. I have a WCBP roo that will not back down to my boxer. He will chase you around the yard to. He is headed for the stew pot whenever hubby decides to do it.

Silly folks.
lau.gif
My Andalusian roo fulfills every aspect of his contract. He can be a little rough with the ladies sometimes, but a night in the cooler (my nursery pen) takes care of that. He's very fast to sound the alarm whenever he sees or hears anything threatening or out of place. He herds all the girls into the covered nursery pen (assuming he's not in solitary) and won't let them out until he thinks the danger has past. Every evening, he has them all tucked in in their coop before it gets dark. He can be a little full of himself when dealing with me, but that's what boots are for. Once I get a grip on him, he's fine. He's not a very big guy, but he's a Spaniard all the way.
love.gif
I imagine he'd do a bit of damage to a marauding dog. At least, enough for me to recognize the culprit.

What is a WCBP? I appreciate all the offers but I need pics for my daughter. I don't care for looks too much, but she is wanting a handsome beau and protector.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom