Wanted to share a neat non-chicken picture

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by punkin, Jun 25, 2008.

1. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    A few days ago we were cleaning up around the coop. My husband started to move a tarp and noticed this under it.
    [​IMG]
    After looking for a couple of days, I finally got a picture of her with the eggs. This is the first time I have seen a blue tailed lizard nest. Hopefully the little ones will head northwest when they leave the nest. The coop is about 2 feet in the opposite direction.

2. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Really nice photo! That's a blue-tailed skink. They eat insects and other little moving things. They won't hurt your chicks or your eggs.

3. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    Beautiful!!! I'm so glad you got a pic of this! What a treat!

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I think she was more worried about the chickens getting the babies?! Am i right punkin?

Very cool find. My boys would have loved to see that!! I hope they make it.

5. punkin

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:You're right. [​IMG] I love to see the lizards around. I know they are eating alot of insects.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Wow, what a beautiful lizard. I was so taken by it's gorgeous tail that I didn't even notice the eggs. They sure are huge for such a small lizard. Hope the babies make it.

7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Oh. My bad. I'm new at chickens, and I keep forgetting that they kill snakes and other living things. Mine are still just babies. When they grow up, is there any chance they can take on a Cocker Spaniel and win? The dog is really old. (I can't believe I'm so rude sometimes.)

8. punkin

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] with tears in my eyes!! I think your cocker will be OK.

9. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    "That's a SCORPION!!" ...I'm just kidding, of course.. my Daddy always told me these were "scorpions" [​IMG]

It's an awesome pic of a very beautiful skink! I loved these when I was growing up in GA ...just couldn't let my Daddy catch me playing with them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by