Wanted to share- Hen laid Goose Sized Egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThornyRidge, Jan 25, 2009.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Man alive I about freaked out when I saw that egg in the nest box.. It happened a couple weeks ago during the freakish cold spell we had here in NE Ohio it was like -14 plus windchill which was something like -25.. anyway my white leghorn pullet who will just be turning a year old laid me the largest white egg I have ever seen.. it surpasses a jumbo sized egg by leaps.. It literally looks like a large goose egg. It won't even fit in the jumbo egg cartons I have.. I had another hen lay a brown egg in this size range during this cold snap too.. not as large but close.. I am going to carefully blow out the contents and save the shells as I do with odd colored/unique shells that I collect. This by far is a keeper and I suspect really had to hurt coming out!!!! She is a laying machine!! And the size of the eggs she lays compared to her size is amazing.. she really is not that large of a hen. I may try to take a photo of my regular eggs and this one for comparison and post it.. it really is amazing.

2. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Double yolker??????

3. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I guess it is a triple yoker !!!

4. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My O My [​IMG]

5. r0xiRox

r0xiRox Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    australia
    yeah its probably a double or triple yolker [​IMG] have fun eatin that

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    [​IMG]

7. buttons

buttons Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2009
    my dad use to have a chicken that would lay a dubble yoke egg every week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by