1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanted to Share my breeds of chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Orpingtonlover, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Orpingtonlover

Orpingtonlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    White Leghorn
    Rhode Island Red
    Brown Leghorn
    Black Rose Comb Bantam
    Blue Rose Comb Bantam
    Buff Orpington
    Jersey Giants
    Delawares
    Araucana's
    Australorp
    Dutch Bantams
    Plymouth Rock
    White Wyandottes
    Speckled Sussex, and Black Cochins

Was wondering if these are good solid breeds

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:I am not sure what you are asking.

We have Rhode Island Red, Delaware, Jersey Giant, Buff Orpington, Auraucana/Americana, Plymouth Rock and White Wyandotte pullets, 10 months old.

Egg Laying:
    Out of that group, our White Wyandotte, Jersey Giant, Delaware, Auraucana/Americana and Rhode Island Red laid 5-6 eggs a week each throughout the winter. The rest laid 4-5 eggs a week each throughout the winter.

Temperament:
    The Jersey Giant, Auraucana/Americana, Plymouth Rock and White Wyandotte are calm and gentle birds. They will let us reach under them and remove eggs, don't mind being held or petted, follow us around the farm, and sit on our laps.

The Buff Orpington and Rhode Island Red are quiet calm girls, but prefer to be left alone when on the nest. The Rhode Island Red screams whenever she is disturbed (on or off the nest). The Buff Orpington strikes like a rattlesnake whenever you try to remove eggs under her. She isn't broody, that's just her personality.

Broodiness:
    To date only our Jersey Giant has gone broody more than once in the past 4 months. We have other birds that have gone broody, but none of the others you listed that we own.

We had a Single Comb Brown Leghorn, but it was a cockerel and we re-farmed him to a friend who had no boys.

Hope this helps.
    regards,
    keljonma

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  3. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i have

Sussex
    Hamburg
    Brown Leghorn

oh and a annoying guinea fowl that flew into my place and wont leave oh and (suspectivly) killed my 10 year old Australian Pitt Game Rooster

4. Miafrommaine

Miafrommaine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    we r probably getting 2 americauna,4 columbian rock cross and 2 new hampshire red.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:

6. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    Quote:
    By "flighty" do you mean they like to fly? Sorry I'm pretty new at this. Because my brown leghorn definitely flies A LOT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by