Wanted to share photos of my little slice of chickendom. :)

Hurley

Egg Of A Different Color
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Palmyra, WI
I've finally got my collection of gals that I wanted, some cuckoo, splash, and blue Marans (2 roosters, 6 hens), a Rhode Island Red for my hubby (he had them as a kid), and 3 Ameraucanas, a blue, black, and splash. Picked up the splash and black today. So excited to have eggs this fall, but most importantly to me, I have a lovely little flock for me and my sons to feed, pamper, and spoil.
smile.png
The first photo shows the coop we built and the dog run converted to chicken run (still in progress of wiring in that photo). With the recent heat, I added a couple halves of a large canine airline crate for shade out in the run. They seem to enjoy freuqenting both the coop and the outside hides.

Just wanted to share some photos of the group. So far the roosters are getting along very well. The splash is more dominant, but the boys work as a pair everywhere they go. I hope that continues so I don't have to sacrifice one to the soup kettle, but we'll see how the group settles as everyone hits full maturity. The Marans hens should be getting close, having hatched in April. The roosters began to crow last month. The RIR is over a year and has settled into the flock nicely. The Ameraucanas are roughly the same age as the Marans. Hoping for a nice colorful basket soon!

Anyway I think these guys are just gorgeous and am delighted to have them. Enjoy!

081.JPG

084.JPG

085.JPG

086.JPG

090.JPG

092.JPG

096.JPG

097.JPG

099.JPG

Thanks.

Have lurked for some time. This forum was invaluable for my foray in to meat chickens this spring (had some for dinner last night, delish) and in researching design for my little coop and selection of the right chicken breeds for me.

Thanks to all of you for the great info!

I hope so, I bought her as a hen and she acts like a hen.
big_smile.png

Yes, I got her because my husband had RIRs as a kid and loved them. She'll add a different color to the basket.

She's got quite a plucky cute personality.

AWESOME! I am so glad you finally get to experience chickendom!!
big_smile.png

But I have one suggestion--- If you're so excited to have chickens, I would recommend adding a chicken wire top to the roof of your run for hawk and other predator protection.
smile.png
Great job!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom