wanted to share some pics of Msbearland

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Msbear, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    It's a little overcast here today and I thought it would be a great time to capture some of what's going on here. enjoy

Here's my father's flock of white homing pigeons
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my peas from Peachick
    [​IMG]

The peas are becoming a new fave. They are so graceful and look spectacular flying around the property

my new white girl
    [​IMG]

the dust bowl (where mulch once was) [​IMG] ahh.. . I think you missed a spot [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

meaties -The love to run and follow me wherever I go.. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some new columbian boys (Happy Birthday, Msbear) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

baby chick taking a break from the heat
    [​IMG]

the farmhouse and the rose of sharons- our house was a hospital during the Civil War and is adjacent to the Antietam Battlefield
    [​IMG]

barn cat named "Mamacita"
    [​IMG]

and a black rosecomb rooster
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Neat house! great pics. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Whoa those pidgeons are gorgeous!!!!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wonderful! The OER brought back memories for me! How do you like living in a historic house?

5. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Beautiful birds . . . beautiful photography!! And I'm such a sucker for older homes! I see you hooked up with Tom - Happy Birthday indeed! And my Rose of Sharon shrubs don't start blooming here in Denver until August!

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Those are beautiful pictures. The running meaties are funny.
    Nice Althea shrub. Mine finally perished. I miss the birds using it to twit about in.

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    The rose of sharons are probably 50 years old and are beginning to decline. These two by the front walk are the last remaining of an entire row. 5 years ago the view was tremendous. We lost a few of the maple trees around the house as well a few years ago when we had a big storm. They were more than 150 years old.

The house.... WE LOVE the house BUT, the fixes are not small fixes. When we remodeled, we had to rip out two huge dumpsters full of lathing strips and horse hair plaster. The crack in between the flooring and the baseboard were pointing to a problem with the entire structure. It was actually leaning to one side. We had to dig out the mortar inbetween the rocks and repoint the foundation. And, we used large timbers, tied chains around them and placed them vertically on the front and rear of the house. We connected the timbers from the front to the rear through the windows with chains and had to crank the chain tighter every week to slowly bring the house back together. [​IMG] really. This was an idea my father and his carpenter buddies came up with one evening over a few beers [​IMG] But, it worked! The inside had been infested with termites at some point and many of the logs were rotten so we purchased an old log home in another town and used some of those logs to reconstruct the inside. The one carpenter mentioned he thought the siding was the only thing holding up the east side of the home.

This pic is when we first moved back in (my husband and I rented out our home and moved in with my father as he's getting a little older and needed some help around the farm) so it was a bit cluttered but you can see the logs
    [​IMG]

Here's the dining room
    [​IMG]

Here's a better pic from this Christmas. The living room and office are the two bottom rooms on each side of the foyer. They are large and comfy. The other rooms are kind of small but still neat and full of character.
    [​IMG]

There is still much to do but, it's all a work in progress.

And, yes Gail. We had a poultry swap here on June 18th. It was a great turnout and Tom came and brought some birds. I asked him what he was bringing and when he told me those... I pounced!

Here I am with a couple of rosecomb boys that found a new home
    [​IMG]

and here's the crowd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think we're going to do another this fall

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Lovely pics, thank you so much for brightening my day. We also have an old house, but not even close to the age of yours. [​IMG] Older house have a lot of "features", as we have come to call them!

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Fantastic pics Msbear! Lovely house, pretty birds and amazing greenery. I'm so envious!

10. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Beautiful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by