1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanted - young guinea cock, central Maine

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by redkan, Jul 12, 2008.

1. redkan

redkan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    This morning we awoke to find our guinea hen is a widow, and a very sad and disconsolate one at that. No sign whatsoever of her boyfriend. They were free range and roosted in the barn each night with the chickens. And don't tell anyone but I already know I'm going to miss the sweet bedtime lullabies he sang every night when I fed the horses. [​IMG]

I have a number of bantam easter eggers, hens and chicks both that I can offer in trade if you're interested (or I can purchase if need be), I just don't want to start with a baby again.

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Come to Chickenstock in Litchfield you may find one there. People will be bringing birds that are not even members on here

3. redkan

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    Well if I've rid myself of the fox (we "caught" it yesterday going after our guinea hen) by then I probably will. But if not then I'll hold off to avoid providing a larger buffet for it. I believe a certain fox will soon find that eating at our buffet can be hazardous to it's health.

4. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Set a have a heart trap until you get them all, you can always kill them after you trap them and then the traps wont hurt your chickens either.

5. redkan

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    I may do that. The only thing holding me back is making him someone else's problem.. [​IMG]

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    No No kill them after you trap them
    That way if you trap a chicken you can release it and when you get the fox kill it

7. wildernessdweller

wildernessdweller Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    burnham, maine
    That's why I love my Anatolian shepherds, they're a livestock guardian dog like the Great Pyrenese but less hair....and they are dead serious about their job! LOL

One of those live trap thingys might be a good idea, but I wonder what you could bait it with that would attact him and not something like, oh, say, a skunk??? [​IMG]

8. redkan

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    Oh dear, didn't think of that. I was actually thinking the grocery store chicken wasn't a bad idea but you're probably right, that might bring the wrong sort of visitor. [​IMG] So maybe I'm back to lead poisoning? So far I have a lot of angry fowl .... they're all on confinement unless they fly well enough to escape (8' walls to get out) in which case they're on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by