wanting a small chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by melinda342, Jun 4, 2011.

1. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    I would like to build a small, inexpensive, and inconspicuous chicken coop for 2-3 silkie hens. i also have a barred rock rooster but he would sleep inside at night and go out during the day. Any ideas or pictures?

2. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Have you been to the small coop section and looked around there? There are TONS of pictures of small coops, from the plainest to most elaborate! That's where I started my planning.

3. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    I built a very inexpensive rectangular pen with PVC pipe and zip ties. I made the top to fit it and used zip ties on one side to hold it onto the main pen. I found that making it about 2 feet high was the best for "bending over" to change their food and water as 3 feet high was a bit of a stretch.

I am not a "builder" of any kind, but this was quite EASY to do...for me. The bonus is that it is lightweight and easy to move around the yard to fresh areas. It is not as "pretty" as I would like, but it works!

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe a nice prefab garden shed and section off a portion for a coop. Why don't you let all the birds out?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  5. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    Quote:well where i live i may or may not have illegal chickens that may or may not hhave to be kind of quiet and inconspicuous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by