wanting blue eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by PNWChicky, Feb 11, 2014.

1. PNWChicky

PNWChicky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Kingston, WA
    Hello,

I am wanting to get some chickens who lay blue eggs. I'm finding it hard to find places that sell ameraucana's not the easter eggers. Any ideas? And do actual ameraucana's lay blue eggs or any variation of blue and green? I found a some what local farm that says they have ameraucana's but they are $25 for a day old chick. Is this normal? Iv'e been researching but am getting very confused? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Katie

2. Azure Acres

Azure Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2014
    NW Missouri
    I would order from one of the breeders here. Clif Redden (showinbirds) has award winning stock and charges $7 each for day old chicks.

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    The Ameracauna club has a breeder's directory: http://www.ameraucana.org/DnLd/BreedersDirectory.pdf

If you are willing to get 25 total chicks, I'd recommend Whitmore Farm. It's a long way from you and they may have a long waiting list, but they breed for high production of pretty eggs and I've been very happy with the quality of their chicks. http://www.whitmorefarm.com

Another source is John Blehm http://fowlstuff.com/Fowl.html. They may be sold out already.

Quality stock of almost any breed sells out fast, except for the $25 a chick sellers. Supply and demand. If you offer a good quality chick for $5 - 10 dollars, people often beat a path to your door. If you can find a local breeder, that's ideal, but otherwise consider Whitmore or John Blehm.

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I wouldn't pay that for a day old chick. I paid $10 for my 2-5 week old chicks and $20 for my older, sexed ones, from a very reputable breeder here. But, if their birds look good, it could be worth it to you...

5. PNWChicky

Apr 5, 2013
    Kingston, WA
    Thanks for the replies. Still looking for some true ameracauna's that are somewhat local but not having much luck.

6. chatterboxinn

chatterboxinn New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    spanaway/graham

7. chatterboxinn

chatterboxinn New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    spanaway/graham
    Last year I got my American as from dells farm supply. They were around 3$ and a week old. They lay green and bluish eggs.

8. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Not all true ameraucana lay "blue" eggs. Some lines lay more of a greenish color. Before you buy, ask to see examples of their eggs so you won't be disappointed later on. Good luck in your search. [​IMG]

9. PNWChicky

Apr 5, 2013
    Kingston, WA
    Oh ok thats good know. I was under the impression that the true ameraucana's laid blue eggs. Been researching a lot but getting kind of confused i guess. [​IMG]

Thanks

10. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    They're probably Easter Eggers, falsely advertised as Ameraucana. Common misconception.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by