Wanting EEs, what mail order hatchery?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coffeenutdesign, Feb 5, 2013.

1. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Since I have moved to the middle of nowhere, actually finding chickens to buy live anywhere close is impossible, except for the feed store chicks...which I will probably get a few of because my golden sex links I got last year are really good girls, healthy, good layers, and very friendly.

This year I want some EEs, which means I will have to order them. I have ordered from Ideal before, but I was NOT impressed. I did not get the type of chicken I was expecting and they have not been the greatest layers...I only have 2 of those left. They also aren't the friendly lap chickens I was hoping for.

So, does anyone have any experience dealing specifically with EEs from mail order? I would like some healthy chicks that will grow into hens that at least lay interesting colors and are pretty good layers, though I realize they will not produce as well as my production layers.

Any suggestions?

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I bought some from cackle Hatchery.. they laid every color from light pinkish tan to rose, lavender, green, blue and olive

3. coffeenutdesign

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I have never heard of cackle hatchery. I will check it out! Thx.

4. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Cackle has great EE's! My first EE's now 3 and laying like they did as pullets almost daily, came from parents of Cackle stock and have been excellent, healthy and lay well. I currently am going all EE's from Cackle for my flock and have a order I pick up Feb 21st, as I am only about an hour away from them. I ordered 15 pullets and 3 cockerals.

They EE's are just a nice versatile bird, they have done extremely well with harsh winter and with our heat waves the last 2 years, they are very friendly and outgoing and I have not lost any to illness or predators, they seem to be very smart in taking cover, they also do excellent in a free range situation like mine. I also got to mention they are just stinkin' cute!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I know you specifically said in your post that you weren't impressed with Ideals EEs, but I have to say, I got EEs from them and they were fantastic birds! They weren't too varied looks wise, but the laid beautiful blue/green eggs and laid them well.
    I've also ordered EEs from McMurray. They came in some amazing colors, but I was pretty disappointed when most of them laid brown/pink eggs. Good luck with your search!
    Nikki

6. jessaba

jessaba Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    North Ga
    We ordered Bantam EE's from Cackle last year and they are laying up a storm. This year we have ordered standard size from them..they should arrive first week of march. We ordered a couple orders from them last year and were very pleased with all our chickens. So much so we have ordered more. I ordered Bantam EE straight run 5 of them. Got 3 hens and 2 roos. :) All different colors and healthy!

7. coffeenutdesign

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Wow, cackle hatchery has some major shipping costs!

Well, been checking. Shipping on baby chicks has gone way up since the last time I ordered any. I might just have to look around more locally. :/

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. coffeenutdesign

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I didn't get EEs from them, I got production reds. Maybe their EEs are better.

9. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    My experience for what it's worth - I've gotten them from Meyer, Mt Healthy and Ideal (through my local Agway). I like the Mt. Healthy ones best, nice bodied birds of varied coloration who are good layers of blue & green eggs. The Meyers are in the middle, just plain partridge mostly, but decent layers. The Ideal are my least favorite...they're very small, light bodied birds who don't seem to lay as well as my other EE's and every single one of them is pretty much the same boring partridge color. .

10. Lexiluke

Lexiluke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    I got 5 as part of a bigger shipment from Meyer hatchery last August. They have just recently started to lay and are very healthy. I would order from them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by