Wanting emu pet, OK to free range with pig goat donkey chickens tortoise etc?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Jersey Girl, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    I was given a young emu once that had imprinted on people and would go into hysterics when seperated from me, That didn;t end well, for other reasons, but have always wanted another one or two. There are two 4 week olds that have been raised in incubator with chickens that are tame but not imprinted so think those could work well. Have done a lot of research re fencing etc. My two major questions are: can I free range them with all of my other animals, who all co-habit nicely on a fenced acre and a half? And, I have an Air BnB business with frequent guests. The baby I had was quite into pecking people and animal eyeballs, would a tame grown up be safe enough to be around guests, supervised? I understand about earring swallowing etc. Would love to have some again but only if they will fit nicely into my situation. THanks for any advice!

2. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    How tall is the fencing?

3. Jersey Girl

Jul 31, 2012
    It varies but essentially 5 + ft. My plan is to upgrade the lower parts of it as the emus grow to an overall of 5 ft. I see varying opinions as to whether 6 ft is absolutely necessary, that might be a deal breaker....BTW, my other animals are donkeys, a pig, geese, turkeys chickens etc.
    who all play nicely together. Will emus, if raised with the others?

4. Jersey Girl

Jul 31, 2012
    Oops, i see I already listed my animals in the title, duh!

5. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    As long as they are raised together and you keep an eye on them to make sure they are getting along, I wouldn't worry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by