Wanting more chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Frecky45, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Frecky45

Frecky45 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    Gladstone, Oregon
    Currently I have 3 Black Sexlinks and I want to get 2 or 3 more chicks. Since the 3 I have are black, I want to add color to my little flock. My biggest worry is the newbies being picked on. I thought about Wyandottes and Buff Orpingtons, but they are kind of docile. Would they be tuff enough? Anyone have suggestions? I have a family of 8 and need plenty of large eggs, so good layers of large eggs is preferred. Any help would be great.

2. sophiesmith

sophiesmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    Have you see any hatcheries online? Some hatcheries will sell as low as 3 chicks.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When I've tried to put chicks in with grown hens before about 4 months, I've had the older girls kill the younger. So, I'd say plan to house them seperate until they're roughly grown size.

As far as picking on each other, the older hens will always put the new girls in their place. Some breeds do tend to get picked on more, I've heard that about Orps but not Wyandottes. Polish I've heard can take it hard in a mixed flock.

I think space is such an under-rated factor in flock management. Folks that try to crowd as many birds as possible into their space and then are crying cause they have behavior problems are rampant here. Give your birds as much space as possible. When you do put your new girls, have things for them to hide behind. Lots of times, "out of sight, out of mind" holds true for chickens. Maybe have multiple feeders also so the older girls can't bully the younger from the food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by