wanting new bird, do i have to quartine?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Le Mitzer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    i have just gotten two chicken " weeks ago and they have settled in very nicely ( two eggs a day, everyday [​IMG]), but i have the itch and i want another one, but i only have ONE coop, so how an i going to quartine the new bird? does any one have any suggestion?

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    A very large dog crate worked well for me. Large enough to fit food and water and for the hen to move around. Quarantine only lasts 4 weeks or so, so a temporary cage or crate works fine I think. I would recommend allowing the hen out each day to stretch her wings....in the garage, the house, or a seperate part of the yard from the rest of the flock.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Prior to getting a new bird and placing her in quarantine, in presence of the owner inspect her top to bottom for the following: lice/mites, pasted vent, scaly leg mites, bumblefoot, put your ear to her chest and listen for any gurgling, wheezing, clicking noises... look inside her mouth for sores or anything abnormal, check inside her ears for wax or goop, ask the owner if she's been wormed and if there has been any other treatments given to her, what she is being fed and how old she is, what does her poop look like and any parasites in it. This inspection takes less than 10 minutes to do and will be well worth your time. Dont be afraid or shy about asking the owner questions...the inspection that you perform and questions asked will save you from headaches in the future. If you run across any these issues, I would politely explain the problem that needs to be addressed, thank the owner, then leave.

4. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Quote:Prior to getting a new bird and placing her in quarantine, in presence of the owner inspect her top to bottom for the following: lice/mites, pasted vent, scaly leg mites, bumblefoot, put your ear to her chest and listen for any gurgling, wheezing, clicking noises... look inside her mouth for sores or anything abnormal, check inside her ears for wax or goop, ask the owner if she's been wormed and if there has been any other treatments given to her, what she is being fed and how old she is, what does her poop look like and any parasites in it. This inspection takes less than 10 minutes to do and will be well worth your time. Dont be afraid or shy about asking the owner questions...the inspection that you perform and questions asked will save you from headaches in the future. If you run across any these issues, I would politely explain the problem that needs to be addressed, thank the owner, then leave.

That's great advice from Dawg. We got screwed on our first group we got off Craigslist, worms and lice and who know's what else. We really didn't know a thing about chickens when we got them and believed everything the guy told us; I'm pretty sure he was just dumping his problem hens on us gullible saps. Worked out well in the end though after all the meds, feather-doctoring, etc.

5. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    Ok, so I inspect the chickens from beak to Toes and they are clean and healthy,;
    and i do not Quartine the new bird and i just put her with the other two, is this truely the end of the world?
    because for me to Quartine the new bird four weeks to put with my flock that i have only had two weeks seems a bit extreme,
    i will be getting the new chicken from the same farmer, and from the same flock as the first two......

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You can do whatever you want, they are or will be your chickens. Keep in mind that there are poultry diseases that dont actually show up due to long incubation/course times. Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I didn't quarantine & got lucky. I worried the whole time thinking o my god I have put all birds in danger.I will always quarantine from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by