Wanting opinions on coop/run design idea.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nitrostreak, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    I'm moving in with a friend soon, and I want to bring some of my chickens with me out of my parents' coop.

I'm a college student, so I can't afford an elaborate build, so here's the idea I had in mind.

Large dog run/kennel with mesh overtop and around gaps, with a lean-to type coop inside with individual crates for nesting boxes.

Does anyone have suggestions?

With this setup I'd only have to buy the kennel- everything else I can DIY from scrap wood lying around the property here.

I have two standard naked neck laying pullets, a Dutch bantam laying pullet, and two bantam cockerels. All of them currently live together along with my parents' birds in a larger enclosure.

2. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I think it sounds great but I would add 1/2 inch hardwear cloth around the bottom 2 ft on the inside of the run and bury it atleast 6 inches into the ground so that digging critters cannot get in. I don't know what your weather is like but make sure that you have plenty of ventilation in your coop. Have fun whatever you decide.

3. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    mtnhens4, Thanks! I hadn't thought of that.

I'm in Georgia, and it can get pretty hot here in the summer, so you're right- ventilation will be important.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by