Wanting opinions on Purina Starter/Grower

gvntofly05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
IN
Had to go to TSC yesterday to get more feed for my 3 wk old chicks. I was feeding them the Dumor starter but since TSC is not going to have it anymore I bought a 50lb bag of the Purina Starter & Grower. It was actually a dollar less then the bags of Dumor Starter!

When I got home and opened the bag I really liked the way the crumbles looked. To me they just looked better than the Dumor crumbles. I have a few other places I may look into for feed if necessary.

So my question is what do you think of the Purina Starter & Grower, like it, hate it, why?

I only use the purina brand (mainly because my local feedstore is a purina dealer
lau.gif
) but I have tried the Dumor brand before and didn't care for it.

seems that I recall Dumor smells different, too
sickbyc.gif
more icky smelling. (especially if it gets wet - like if you're using it for ducklings.)

meri

Last edited:
I use it exclusively and have had really great results. I do have to grind it up in the blender for the little hatchlings, and usually grind it for them for a few weeks. It really kick starts their development.

Well so far my chicks seem to love it! I'm hoping the smell from their poop won't be as bad now, I've read that some people said their coops and brooders stunk real bad when they were feeding Dumor feed. I guess I'll know in a few days.

This is my first go round with brooding/raising chickens. My batch of 24 chicks have been fed this since day one. I didn't grind anything, they ate the dust and smaller pieces. I haven't lost a single baby.
My coop doesn't smell in the least, and the girls are now 5/6 wks old.

I raised my chicks on the Purina Start 'N Grow and they did very, very well on it. Switched to Purina Layena crumbles now that they're older and they look great and lay lot's of eggs. I've heard that too about the chicks/chickens poop smelling worse on the Dumor.

Quote:
I saw that TSC had Purina today for the first time. Never saw it there before. Here, it was $1 more than Dumor. Are they really going to quit selling the Dumor feed?
I saw the Purina in the layer, only.

You know what.... After reading all your posts I think I'll exchange the unopened bag of Dumor tomorrow for the Purina Layena. My chickens crap smells so bad & I swear there seems to be SOOOO much of it. I have 10 chicks together in a box & 17 chickens in the coop. It is SO hard to keep up on the poop scooping. I've read many other posts etc on here & I swear my chickens poop more than they should be! I get blisters from raking poo so much. ITS BAD!!!
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
Most of them are bantams.
Any thoughts???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom