wanting to add a video camera in my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Avonlea22, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    I'm thinking about adding a camera in my coop, but have no idea how to do this. Can anyone suggest a system? My coop has power but it's about 40' from the house. I'd like to be able to view the video on my phone.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have two camera in my coop, which send wirelessly audio and video to a small, hand-held monitor. Color in the daylight, blac & white at night (using infrared). It is basically a baby monitor system, called (I think) LiveSnap. It's not set up for Internet access, because I work an hour and fifteen minutes away from home; it wouldn't do me any good if I was off the property.

But it's very handy to see what's going on when the flock makes noise at night when they should be sleeping. And I can keep an eye on things when I am occupied with household chores or watching TV. Or home sick.

Do a google search on Lorex and you'll see all sorts of remote security camera systems.

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Will be doing same soon. Love it. Modern tech.
    Erik

4. Avonlea22

Aug 27, 2011
    I looked at Lorex, but I read somewhere that they charge you a monthly monitoring fee. That's not going to happen.

5. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I have a Panasonic securtiy camera. Can be viewed over the internet with an ip address that you can share![​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Huh?

Let me do some research and come back with information, but that is NOT what I know about some of the low-end security camera systems.

7. Avonlea22

Aug 27, 2011
    I think it was in a review I read on the B&H Photo website.

8. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

You can maybe consider a baby monitor?
    Good luck.

9. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Do you have a pic and/or link to what you have?

10. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Quote:Do you have a pic and/or link to what you have?

Sure do, no night vision on it but the lights are on now!

http://momma.viewnetcam.com username: byc123 password: coopcam Click on the "Single" tab Click wheel on left will move the camera. [​IMG]

It's a BLC210 camera. About $130 at Amazon.com or BestBuy.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by