Wanting to add ducks to my flock...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lizard Lady, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    I now have five hens (down from 8...long story) and one rooster (Henry came as a package deal and is my buddy). I want to add ducks to my flock. Here's what I'm looking for, and I'm hoping you lovely people can help me pick the right breed for my family.

Something not entirely too noisy. I don't mind quacking and chattering (I have a hen I call Loud Mouth because she talks all day long), but I don't want incessant screaming and honking like some of the goose breeds.
    Egg laying!!! That's the huge part. What we don't eat I give to my mom, sister (family of 6 at her house), grandparents, and best friend so the eggs are always used.
    Somewhat personable. I don't need anything that will let me snuggle it, but something that won't attack me every time I go near the pen or grazing area.
    Did I mention GOOD LAYERS?!
    Something that will stay close to home while grazing and won't fly off.

I've been researching and it's looking like Pekins are going to be the best bet for my family, but I'd really love to hear from the more experienced duck owners.

Ps. I'm not planning on breeding them, and I really don't mind the poop. I use my chicken poop in my veggie garden, and heard duck poop is even better.

2. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Another question to go along with the main one: Can I house my ducks with my chickens? I plan on getting a couple more hens this spring, and only two to three ducks. My coop is fairly large, the run is decent size (although I'm planning on increasing the size for when it's too deep in snow) and my chickens free range a majority of the day.

3. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I can't speak on egg laying yet because mine are only a few months old. I have a crested blue swedish, a cayuga/khaki campbell mix and what I think is a blue swedish/khaki campbell mix. Plus a newly hatched pure cayuga that the other three have taken into their group. None of mine are overly noisy and they free range all day and bring themselves back to the pen at evening. They will all eat out of my hand and come running when I call them. They don't want to be picked up but other than that, they don''t mind me or the dog. I am so happy with these that I have changed my mind from my original wanting of all cayuga. I have a creek running behind the house that is about 4 feet wide and they swim all day. I have never had to go looking for them even though it runs for miles down into a large river. They are never more than 30 feet from the pen and run. I couldn't be happier.

4. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I house my ducks and chickens together and the only side affect that I have discovered so far is that my chickens think themselves as ducks. They spend all day in the creek also and won't go into the coop at night no matter what I do. Not sure how this will work out when it comes time for them to lay.

5. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I keep my 25 chickens and 5 muscovies together in the coop. They get along well enough. The ducks sleep under a shelving unit, the chickens on the roosts. The only problem is the ducks make a mess of their corner and the water bowl has raised the humidity some. Now I have to muck out the coup about twice as often as when it was just chickens.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Can't help much on Pekins, don't own them there is a thread about pekin though, perhaps run a search. As for housing, people do i am one who chooses not too. I find ducks much messier and they do require more room than chickens, as well water use is much different.

All that said & done, my chickens do free range so that means they join up sometimes around my ducks, that works ok but again don't share basic housing.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  7. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    I only momentarily only have scovy as my first ducks since july. I couldn't be happier with them except they are really too quiet mostly (though found out females can quack, and males can honk). The hens lay huge strong shelled eggs, supposedly will keep laying in season if you keep taking eggs, but after i ate a bunch i let her raise some as late test hatch. you probly want khaki campbells or welsh harliquins (same breed different colors, supposedly), as best layers aside from white egg layers and hybrid 300 ect. production strains that are original runner ducks best laying ducks but supposedly rare now, and some say they are loud, but not as bad as pekings and calls that are worst said by all as loud mouths. male scovy bred to female peking creates great layer and meat ducks, but young are sterile except few males, and i haven't gotten any feedback as to other attributes. as far as with chickens, my scovy are great. scovy are cleanup crew eating spilled/kicked around ect feed, and pest insects and rodents and snakes even at night that chickens don't generally, can't get, or can't see at night (my scovy forage at night in dark, but don't know if mallard derived breeds, or runners do to).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by