1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanting to begin but not sure where to start

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by medichick, Mar 21, 2015.

1. medichick

medichick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    First of all HELLO! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's questions, answers and ideas on BYC! I have been reading and planning for months but can't commit to a design for my coop. The fellows that will help me build say I should buy a kit- but I don't want cheap fall apart crapolla. I want to buy local. I hear the snap together works well and US built sounds great, but where do I put the food & water? And I would still need to buy/build the run.... Then again maybe a portable yard pen/truck is better. See ...... Thus my problem. WWUD?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. I personally prefer a stationary coop/run to a portable one as they can be made much more predator proof, which is paramount in my opinion. As far as coop/run designs goes you might want to look through our coop section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops and our Housing and Feeding Your Chickens section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/housing-and-feeding-your-chickens. I would also suggest reading through the article on Predator Proofing Your Chickens at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in deciding on a plan for a coop/run.

3. medichick

medichick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    Thank you so much! I am thinking builders cloth on the sides of the coup and chicken wire in the run, but we have raccoons and Hawks/Falcons around our property.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I would suggest using hardware cloth on every mesh surface as there are just too many predators that can either tear through chicken wire or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Raccoons are especially adept at it. It will cost you a little more money, but it is cheaper than loosing your flock. Also, be sure and either padlock or use a double action latch on the coop door as raccoons can very quickly figure out how to open a single action latch.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree that whet ever you build you make it predator proof. I learnt the hard way by thinking I was predator proof when I clearly was not. I lost all my birds to a fox and I have to say it was not a pretty sight. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new adventure. Hope you enjoy BYC I am sure you will everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

1 person likes this.
  7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

Michael OShay has given you good advice and links to help you in your coop design decisions.

IMO the type coop/run to select is determined by your climate, the size and purpose of your flock, how you plan to manage and care for the flock. And whether the visual appeal of the coop matters to you. Even if you are getting help from an experienced builder, they will want specific plans of what you want them to build.

Many of the BYC members have graciously given very detailed information and photos, drawings of what they accomplished. There are a number of books with coop building examples and detail suggestions. There are also several Youtube videos that detail chicken coop/run building. Not all examples are perfect, but exploring what others have done will help you decide what you want. Once you decide on a basic plan, then research or post questions to help on the fine details. Make a scaled drawing of the building plan - get some graph paper, pencil and a big eraser and draw what you want. Add feed, water fount, roosts, nests into the plan to see where they fit in. And look at how you will access all areas for daily care, egg collection and cleaning chores.

"What would you do different?" were lists I found quite helpful. The one I failed to listen to was "build larger than you think". That one will save you trouble down the way. The one I would add is " make sure nests are located so poop is not tracked into the nests".

Do feel free to ask questions, we are here to help.

Good luck on your planning.

2 people like this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

You've received some excellent advice already!

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by