1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanting to breed and sell chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vogel414, Dec 2, 2012.

1. vogel414

vogel414 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Nebraska
    I LOVE my birds!! And I have building plans (if we buy our house) for a shed to breed birds. I would like to breed chickens, guineas, peafowl, turkeys, & call ducks. Is there anyone out there with advice??
    My shed is 40x20. The way I have it drawn up is to have a hallway down the middle with 8 sections on each side (7x5ish) with openings so they can get into enclosed outdoor pens. Separated, of course. The peafowl will be in a completely separate shed. The guineas, ducks and turkeys will have more outdoor room than the others.
    I have bunches of questions to those willing to hear me out and offer answers and advice. If I put nesting boxes inside for them can I simply leave them? Or will I have to put the brooding hens in separate areas? When they all hatch can the hens and babies stay in the pens together with the rooster? When the hens are brooding can I leav the rooster there too? How many hens should I have per rooster (I only want one roo of each breed)? I am sure I'll have more questions as people answer these :)
    Thanks!!

2. mmi 45

mmi 45 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    you may look into breeder feed
    strumberg has a hatching book that might help (yellow one)
    certain breeds have certain needs

3. vogel414

vogel414 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Nebraska
    Okay thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by