1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanting to buy chicks-Update-DH ordered USPS d/t gas $

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by 2mnypets, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Looking for Silkies, Ameraucanis and Cuckoo Marans in the central Illinois area. I don't have a bator yet, so they would have to be chicks, so close driving distance for the health of the chicks would be mandatory. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    How 'central' are ya? I'm right on the Wis/Ill border and I have some Ameraucana chicks- now 8 weeks old (on Tuesday) for sale. I had sold all the 'extras' but the lady changed her mind since, and now only wants a select few. [​IMG]

Here's a list of what I have left:

~White pullet- very small, slight defect with beak, but eats fine. She is free for the taking if you buy other chicks from me and promise to give her a loving forever home. [​IMG]
    ~Grey/Brown 'Splash' pullet- timid, but not mean
    ~Grey/White/Black 'Splash' cockerel- sweet and gentle
    ~White with brown specks pullet- gentle and calm
    ~Grey/Black cockerel- gentle and easy to handle
    ~Deep Red/Black cockerel- beautiful bird, a little nippy until you pick him up, then he's calm and gentle, great crower!
    ~White with Grey head pullet- timid but not mean
    ~Grey/Brown/Red cockerel- very, very sweet!
    ~White with Black head cockerel- good watch 'bird' and very loyal to the ladies! Very gentle with the human flock too!

I just ordered more pullets of various varieties, which is why I can spare these ladies. The boys are gorgeous, especially the Deep Red and Black boy. The neck feathers on him shine irridesant green and blues in the sun. Very pretty. If you aren't too far, let me know. Might even meet you part way, though I would prefer for you to come out and see them first if you could. They are all fully feathered, so you don't have to worry about the heating in their coop. They've been out in my coop for the past 4 weeks and doing great. Let me know if you're interested.

3. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    4mom

2mnypets is about a hr from Peoria or close to that. so I would guess she is about 4-6 hrs away. I am orginialy from Peoria.

But I could be wrong too. [​IMG]

4. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    2mnypets how far from Burlington Iowa are you? There is a swap meet there May 6th. I went in April and someone had americauna chicks. One other person said they would have cuckoo marans in the fall. I have cuckoo marans but all my breeds are mixed together right now so I don't have any chicks(I'm near Davenport, Iowa). I did see adult silkies there also. If you need more info about the swap I can email you.

5. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Thank you all for the replies. Sorry, my internet was topsy turvy yesterday with the weather. Guess that's one of the downfalls about living out in the country. Cheap you are correct about my location. 4H, I was talking to my DH about it last night. Poor thing finally got to the dentist about his tooth yesterday, that they crowned last year. He needs a root canal. Anyway, I'm not sure if he completly heard me or was just kinda out of it. I'll talk to him again tonight. I love the offer, we'll just have to see what he thinks about the drive. Gas right now is 2.89 a gallon.

Momof3, that is some great information. Burlington is just over an hour from me...give or take. Thanks Cheap for stepping up to bat for me in my absence.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  6. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Well tell your DH if it helps, you can drive up just to fill up because our gas in town is only 2.72 lol [​IMG] Anywho, I also may have a few more pullets for you if you'd like because our hatchery made an oops on our order and we're ending up with twice the pullets we ordered! [​IMG]

We have 18 Ameraucana and Easter Egger pullets, and just got 18 pullets (RIRs, Barred Rocks, Cinnamon Queens, Buff Orps, Cuckoo Marans). We'd like to END with a flock of 12 Ameraucana and Easter Eggers, and a combination of the others to make another 12, to go with our 3 roos for a finished flock size of 27ish, so if you would like any of these other breeds too, let me know. The only ones I'm not parting with are the Marans. These breeds will be 3 day olds and 1 day olds on Saturday.

7. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Ha Ha Ha! A woman after my own heart! I will talk to him this evening to see what he wants to do. They did a pulpotomy on him yesterday so he was numbed up and I don't mean to laugh, but he couldn't talk to save himself. This is coming from a man that has never had a cavity before prior to this tooth giving him fits last year. He always razzed me about my problems with my teeth. Anyway, it sounds like you have a small army heading your way...lol. I'll let you know what he says. Also, what decision have you made regarding the twins down the road? I was contemplating a couple for milk. Guess I could tell him "hunny, her neighbor has lil goats too. Perhaps since we're here, I would hate to waste all that time and money on gas." I can see it now. The shaking of his head and rolling of his eyes. I'll talk to you soon about this I hope. Keep those fingers crossed. [​IMG]

8. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Just thought I would mention, if you are up for a little drive, the Kankakee Bird & Animal Swap is next Sunday, May 6th. It is well worth the drive. Huge swap. Gotta get there early. Gate opens at 5a.m. till Noon. Early bird gets the worm! Adults cost $2.00 to get in and Kids are FREE. It is at the Kankakee Fair Grounds. I can help with directions if you need them. It has been a while since I was in your neck of the woods. But, My husband and I both are graduates of Black Hawk East College in Kewannee, IL.
    Christie [​IMG]

9. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Guess I'm showing my ignorance, but where is Kankakee anyway? Sounds interesting though. 5 am sounds awfully early when I have a drive in front of me though. How long would it take to get there? Thanks for the information. [​IMG]

10. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    With all the extra chicks right now, I dont think I'll be able to take in the twins, so he will be trying to sell them I suppose. He's a great guy and doesnt want an arm and a leg for them. If I told him you were someone I knew, I bet he'd be good to ya! He needs to home them very soon. Tell the hub you can get the 'kids' and chickies all in one trip and maybe he wont BUK (lol) so much at the sky rocketing price of gas.

:mad: <<Gotta love havin an OIL TYCOON for a president, ey?>> :mad:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by