wanting to buy silkie chicks near bowling green kentucky.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Silkie-Feet, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    i saw a silkie and my jaw dropped, now i want about 5 chicks of any color but they need to have show qualty parents. silkies seem so rare where i live and i thot i would give the forum a shot. if you have some pls tell me, i expect to spend no more than 10 dollars on five chicks. i already have 3 white ones someone gave me and i want chicks.

here is a pic of my white one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:No offense, but you aren't going to get 5 chicks from SQ parents for $10. Maybe 1, lucky if you got 2, but I doubt it [​IMG]

3. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    honestly i have no idea on the prices. some times people almost have to pay you to take them and some times the prices would make u nuts, so that was just a estimate. but i wont go over 20$.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I'm sure you could get PQ silkies for that, but not SQ.

5. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    I sell my Silkie babies for $3 each..cheaper than hatchery prices, and far better quality ..when I sell them, which isn't often. There is no way to tell from a baby if it will be show quality or not. I actually prefer not to sell them until they are about half grown..at least. That way I am using the best quality breeding stock because I have a chance to see what they are going to look like and I can keep the best ones for breeders. If you buy babies, there is no way to tell what you are going to get. It may have 5 toes..but not much else will be known until it is older.

Just a quick note..I may be moving and I looked at a house in Hart County the other day. So you may have Silkies close to you very soon...lol.
    Watch for Feather People Farm.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I paid about $12 a chick to get potential SQ and it was worth every penny. They are substantially better than the $3 hatchery silkies I started with (so far as physical confirmation- my hatchery silkies are all pets and are as sweet as can be!). I sell off my culls for at least $15 each when they are half grown. The last full size rooster I sold was $25 and that was kind of low. He was no where near confirmation and was clearly going to be pet quality with the possibility of throwing some decent babies when put with good hens. Show quality adult birds can sell from $75 to $100 depending on the color and confirmation.

All of that to say- you can get great pet quality for several dollars a chick, but you get what you pay for. If you want to start breeding silkies to show, it behooves you to get the best quality you can at the beginning. Otherwise you will spend a fortune breeding just to get to that same starting point. Getting fewer better quality chickens is smarter in the long run.

On the other hand, if you just want some fun silkies running around the yard, you can certainly find them for less. Doesn't make them any less adorable! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by