Wanting to do the right thing by our girls- Can you give me your Opinion, or experience?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amadorproducer, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Amadorproducer

Amadorproducer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Our Rhode Island Red and Gold Wyandott give us eggs every day in our northern California home. The have a very good sized protected yard and they freely do their thing every day.. This summer, we are leaving the area, and relocating in southern California.
    So here are my questions:
    1. Can they survive a 7 hour road trip?
    2. They won't be able to roam freely in a 12x30 are, but instead a 4x10 area because of yard constraints. Can they, will they adapt, and if so how quickly, and should we expect a cessation of eggs for a while. Their diet will remain unchanged.

I appreciate any input given.

Thank you in advance.

Michael

2. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Never gone on a road trip with chickens before lol but if there is one thing I know about chickens its that they don't like change but will soon get over it. I don't see why you couldn't move them and if worse comes to worse you could always give away your hens to friends or family in your hometown and start over in California with new hens? Most likely will stop laying eggs for a little bit once you move due to stress.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  3. Amadorproducer

Oct 2, 2013
    I built a sturdy hen house 4x4x4. Since we were going to take it perhaps we could leave them in it with water and food for the trip
    instead of a cage. it does have vents. Getting the cage out of the yard would be the challenge.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many birds?

Be better to put them in a dog crate(s) inside the climate controlled car.

5. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    yes. agreed

6. Amadorproducer

Oct 2, 2013
    We have 2 birds that are 1 1/2 years old .

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Move them in a dog crate, make sure that they don't overheat in the car, and they will be fine. Offended, but fine. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by