Wanting to figure out my genetics a little.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kittycat1356, Jan 23, 2017.

1. kittycat1356

kittycat1356 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2016
    Fayetteville nc
    Hello! I have a few chickens, that I don't know much about. And I'd just like your opinion on some ^^

[​IMG]
    I bought this lil lady at a flock swap for 30$ with her brother (killed by a possum)
    I was told she was an Appenzeller, but... she has a beard, and doesn't have the small spots, any ideas? (She lays almost white eggs very very light blue, but hardly noticeable)
    I personally think she looks more like a barbanter( not sure if I spelled right) though her brother definitely had the Appenzeller look. (Bald chin ugly gobble gobble things lol/partial to beards)
    [​IMG]
    This is my tiny little bantie hen, she's pretty smart, and I got her from a random egg on eBay. Not sure what she is at all, but her feathers are iridescent and she is fierce, she will stand up to cats, start fights with the roosters. etc. But she's still a sweetheart.

[​IMG]
    And lastly, my Frizzle Rooster,not sure if this one is guessable at all.
    ( maybe all my chickens aren't guessable or particular to one breed)
    He doesn't have feathered legs, he probably weighs a good ~10lb. By now. I could get better, newer pics tomorrow if it would help at all. But he seems like a general mutt.

I love my chickens, and I'm mildly curious about their background.

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    You are right on the first one. It is a Brabanter. The second one is a brown red Game hen. Need a broadside picture of the frizzle rooster to try and determine his breed.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    nevermind lol

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  4. kittycat1356

Mar 15, 2016
    Fayetteville nc
    [​IMG]
    His legs are a dark grey, kind of hard to see in pic, he's next to a black d'uccle and silkie is behind him, might help for showing size, just a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here's some pics of the hen again, just to show a little feather color. But it's good to know she's not an Appenzeller.

Her brother when he was alive
    [​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Frizzle is a mixed breed bird with the frizzle feathering gene. Yes, you did have an Silver Spangled Appenzeller. The other is a Cream Brabanter.

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    He is a head scratcher with those dark legs. . . I don't think he is a pure breed, but what cross he would be is tough to determine. What a big, handsome boy though.

7. kittycat1356

Mar 15, 2016
    Fayetteville nc
    Well I was told they were siblings, but oh well. She's a really good Chicken lol, she's really sweet, she was attacked by the possum too, and had an infection so she got a little TLC.

Thanks for the rooster compliment!@Gray Farms ^^ I figured he's just mutt though, he is a great rooster too, he's nice to the ladies and stops fights (even other roosters fighting) but he's a scary big boy lol, he will not accept being pet or touched.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    a lot of chickens don't like being pet or touched - but, if he is good in all the other ways - he is a beautiful keeper

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by