Wanting to get ducks, which breed?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cuqui18, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    can people tell me about the breed of ducks they own? i was thinking about cayugas, saxonies, appleyards, idk???i need a relatively quiet ducks as i have neighbors, and i want friendly ducks as well!!! which breeds do you have and whats your opinion about them?

2. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I have 2 Rouen ducklings (3 wks) I am also really new to ducks and all but so far I love them! They are very entertaining and friendly, please consider these guys too! [​IMG]

3. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Currently I have some young Saxonies (about three months old, Indian Runners and Muscovies. I've had Anocnas plus some mixed breeds too. I really like the looks of the Saxonies. The Muscovies are the most quiet since they don't quack only hiss. The Indian Runners are just odd enough looking to be cute.

4. Cuqui18

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    Quote:How do the runners behave? whats some personality characteristics they have?

5. Cuqui18

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    Quote:i certainly willl!!! whats there personality like? behavior?

6. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I love the little banty ducks. I currently have three Mallards and would like to get a call duck or two sometime. [​IMG] My Mallards are SUPER friendly! Cry for me when I'm not in the room and climb all over me when I sit down, and follow me everywhere. I just love them!

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have runners. They went through a loud phase but have really become mostly quiet ducks unless there is something that concerns them, then they start quacking again. But they really aren't quackers anymore.
    Mine have personality plus. They are full of it. Even DH can't hide a smile or laugh when we are out watching them or just outside and one of them does something ducky.
    They run. They don't walk, they run. And when they see me, they run to me. Unless they are in the pool and then they wait to see if I have something in my hands that could be for them and then they scramble out of their pond and run to me.
    They play in nasty water and just plop themselves down to play in it, because you can get messier if you put your entire body in the mess.
    They chatter to each other quietly.
    They chase bugs.
    They chase the dogs now and then.
    They go butt up in the pond to snack on all the goodies on the bottom and propel themselves with their feet splashing around making me just giggle at them - DH does now too.
    They are a constant source of entertainment.

And on the very rare occasion when one figures out how to jump the little ducky barrier fence, we have one knocking on the slider to say hi. Before pooping and being shooed away off the deck.

Mine are friendly. I raised 3. The friendlies one died in May - she'd hang out and let you pet her.

8. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011

They are very friendly ducks! Funny to watch swim in a pool and they will follow you everywhere you go! They will get attached to you quite easily!
    As for behavior they do well also! Sometimes the occasional nibble at you or one that tries to get away from you picking them up, but they definitely aren't the slightest bit mean! Super nice ducks!

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If quiet is a must, you DO NOT want Pekins or Buffs for sure. Other mallard derived breeds can also be loud. I have Welsh Harlequins. They can be noisy at times, but they are still quieter than the neighbor's dogs. WH are champion egg layers and pretty friendly. But the quietest breed and the breed that has the reputation for being the most friendly is the muscovy duck.

10. Cuqui18

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma

They are very friendly ducks! Funny to watch swim in a pool and they will follow you everywhere you go! They will get attached to you quite easily!
    As for behavior they do well also! Sometimes the occasional nibble at you or one that tries to get away from you picking them up, but they definitely aren't the slightest bit mean! Super nice ducks!

how loud are they??? i have close neighbors, but our neighborhood is full of dogs so im sure they wont compete lol but yes i am seriously considering rouens now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by