Wanting to get some ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kyrose, Jul 4, 2011.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    hello,i have been wanting to get some ducks and have been doing research on different breeds.im leaning towards runners.i think they are adorable.from what ive read they are pretty quiet,good layers,dont fly and are friendly if you raise them from ducklings.is this correct? i also want to make sure my setup is ok.ive decided to use my grow out pen for the ducks.im only planning on 2 or 3,whichever you all feel is better.the pen is 3 1/2-6-6 and the covered run is 3 1/2 by 12 but can extend it another 6 ft. if you all feel i should.we have predators so i would like to shut them up at night.i also will be letting them run in the fenced yard when im able to keep an eye on them.i also have chickens that have killed my yard so there is no more grass.didnt know if that makes a difference to the runners.i was planning on using one of those black plastic container tsc sells.not sure what they are for.so i was wondering how deep the water needs to be and if it gets to be to much during the winter can they make do with just a bucket to drink out of? sorry this is so long but i wanted to give as much info on my set up so you can offer me some advice and it will be definitelt appreciated.thanks in advance for any info you all can give me...[​IMG]

2. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    i am also looking into getting ducks so im in the same boat! i have heard that runners can tend to be skittish, of course i have no personal experience, but maybe my post will help get this thread some attention [​IMG]

3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    [​IMG]

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I know two peoplw w/ Indian Runners and they are soooo friendly [​IMG]

5. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    i had runners and in my experience they are very flighty and skittish. They are really sweet as long as you give them their space and are fun to watch from a distance but not a cuddle friendly bird. there will be a few people who will disagree as with anything there are going to be exceptions, Nettie has 4 indoor runner ducks and she says they run her house, but mine were never like that, they came from a hatchery and they in fact made my other ducks more flighty and skittish because of their actions, so I dont recommend them, again that is my opinion. They were beautiful and fun to look at but unless you can give them 100% of your attention as they grow then they arent what you want. I did however in the breeds defense purchase mine as adults, however the ones i raised on my own from them, were still very skittish and flighty. Just thought I would throw in my experience for you

6. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    I have 5 one month old runners that are definetly skittish, but are getting better every day. They still panic if "poof" I am suddenly there: They will literally walk on top of their pool water to escape me. However, if they know I'm there I can move around freely...although they do keep a close eye on me . [​IMG]

Lately, if I need to go into their yard, they don't run for their house. They will just stand in the opposite corner of their yard and watch me. Today, one even went back to the pool with me in there.....which is MAJOR progress. I do have to say, I have Rouens too and they are great: Will take food from my hand, but don't like to be picked up. However, I find the runners are hilarious and I could watch them almost all day long. The way they chatter quietly and nearly everything they do is syncronized. I find the pitter patter of their little feet to be about the cutest thing ever. I don't think they will ever be a cudly lap duck, but I'm okay with that.

I think their level of skittishness is directly tied to how much time you spend with them and the birds they're learning from/modeling. I use the same method with all my animals: Just make myself available and kind of hang out. Eventually, you become part of the furniture and they get used to you being there. In some cases it only means they tolerate you being there without panicing, like with my guinea fowl. In other cases, like my hens, it means I can pet them and handle them a bit. A lot depends on the bird and the circumstances though.

Oh, and once they start swimming regularly....if you bring peas to throw in their pool...they will sit in the water and patiently wait for you to fork over the treats after just a few pea diving sessions!

Here are my guys this afternoon.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  7. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i appreciate any input. [​IMG] as far as my setup if i do decide to try them,is it ok?

8. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:they are soooo adorable.[​IMG]

9. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    [​IMG]
    Quote:Well, housing is one thing we are still working on ourselves. Right now, we have set up camp ducky in our front yard until we finish their house and pond. They have secure quarters for night and pools (with shade cloth over them) inside a fenced area for now. If we are outside, we now let the Rouens out into our actual front yard area to see what they can find. They don't seem to go more than 20-30 feet from their pool.

I will say that they make a terrible mess out of any area you put them in if water gets involved. As to your yard having no grass...that is no problem in the pool area; mud seems to be their favorite.

They do seem to like to forage, so having an outside area with grass available would be nice for them. You said you have a predator proof house for at night, which is good: You absolutely have to put them away at night.....they are literally sitting ducks for predators. [​IMG]

Make sure if you choose to get a stock tank from TSC that it has a drain: You are going to be cleaning it out nearly every day. We got them kiddie pools and I bought a pond filter for the larger one, which means I only have to partially drain it every other day. [​IMG] Also, you will need to make some way for them to get in and out since the stock tanks are deep and the sides are steep: Young ducks can drown if they can't get out of the water when they are tired. My husband made a little deck and ramp for our Rouens to get in and out of their pool and they still use it.
    [​IMG]

I don't recall....do you have nesting boxes available for them? I know a lady locally that doesn't then complains because finding the eggs is like an Easter Egg Hunt and that the eggs are too dirty. [​IMG]
    If you look through the duck section and check the pond threads, some people show their duck housing. Also, I am sure...well at least hopeful....that some of the long-time duck keepers will weigh in on your housing situation. Either way....good luck if you choose to waddle down the duck path. [​IMG]

10. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:Well, housing is one thing we are still working on ourselves. Right now, we have set up camp ducky in our front yard until we finish their house and pond. They have secure quarters for night and pools (with shade cloth over them) inside a fenced area for now. If we are outside, we now let the Rouens out into our actual front yard area to see what they can find. They don't seem to go more than 20-30 feet from their pool.

I will say that they make a terrible mess out of any area you put them in if water gets involved. As to your yard having no grass...that is no problem in the pool area; mud seems to be their favorite.

They do seem to like to forage, so having an outside area with grass available would be nice for them. You said you have a predator proof house for at night, which is good: You absolutely have to put them away at night.....they are literally sitting ducks for predators. [​IMG]

Make sure if you choose to get a stock tank from TSC that it has a drain: You are going to be cleaning it out nearly every day. We got them kiddie pools and I bought a pond filter for the larger one, which means I only have to partially drain it every other day. [​IMG] Also, you will need to make some way for them to get in and out since the stock tanks are deep and the sides are steep: Young ducks can drown if they can't get out of the water when they are tired. My husband made a little deck and ramp for our Rouens to get in and out of their pool and they still use it.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/46932_dscf0608.jpg

I don't recall....do you have nesting boxes available for them? I know a lady locally that doesn't then complains because finding the eggs is like an Easter Egg Hunt and that the eggs are too dirty. [​IMG]
    If you look through the duck section and check the pond threads, some people show their duck housing. Also, I am sure...well at least hopeful....that some of the long-time duck keepers will weigh in on your housing situation. Either way....good luck if you choose to waddle down the duck path. [​IMG]

thanks.[​IMG] ive been researching so many breeds, forgot what i read about nesting boxes for runners..lol need to find out if they roost or stay on the ground..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by