Wanting to hatch, but don't need chicks :\

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hokankai, Dec 26, 2012.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I got a brand new 1588 Genesis Hovabator for Christmas and I'm dying to try it out. The problem is I don't need any chicks at this point and craigslist is flooded with chicks for sale.

What do you guys do with all the chicks you hatch?! How do I get eggs to hatch where I don't have to keep the chicks? I really just wanna hatch something :(

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    What do you expect: sympahty or advice?

3. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

You could contact a local farmer and hatch for them? Give them the chicks when they hatch maybe?

4. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Advice. I'm also wondering what you guys do with all the chicks you hatch and if anyone else hatches for other people. I see people on here who are constantly hatching eggs but they often don't say what they DO with them. I can't start hatching without a plan for the chicks that hatch and I'm wanting to hear what other people do with theirs.

SarahJaneB, that's a good idea. I'm in an agricultural area and I'll get in contact with my feed store to see if anyone needs eggs hatched.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    If you sell them at low price, you will always have buyers.

6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Shoot if necessary I'd give them away for free! Unless I hatch some sex-link females that is :p. I'm going to do it, I have to start somewhere and I don't want to start off with failing with other peoples' eggs!

I just fired it up and after 24 hours it's reading 99.5 +/- 1 and the humidity without any water in there is around 25-25% since we have a pellet stove heating the house. I'd like to try the dry incubation method but need to read a little more about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by